The Devil's Luck

Yegor's POV/
Kevin was not going to be pleased once he found out I helped Alex escape. Then again, I have never liked Kevin. He was always so full of himself. This time, Scorpia would loose for the fourth time in a row.

I was at the meeting office, having no idea how to explain why I was there and not guarding our prisoner.

Kevin emerged from the meeting room along with the other executive board members filing out behind him.

When he saw me, he yanked me to the side. "Yegor!" He said, a little anger in his voice. "What are you doing here?! I thought I told you to guard Alex Rider! Don't tell me he escaped your clutches!"

"No. He didn't. It's time for my shift around the block and I told Trevor Blacklight to guard him instead." Trevor was one the most stupidest agents in the agency. Choosing his name was probably a bad idea. But Kevin was definitely buying it.

"That idiot couldn't shoot a man to save his life! Go back to doing your shift. I'll check up with Trevor." For once, I was thankful for the fact that Scorpia had a fixed schedule and that my shift was starting now, so I wasn't one hundred percent lying. I just hope Alex has a plan.

General POV/
Alex stayed where he was, away from prying eyes as he studied their movements. There was no way he was going to be able to slip past without being seen. Charging at them with a gun wouldn't be wise either.

He was beside a laundry room, which supposingly had laundry in them. He slipped past into the room quietly.

There were piles of clean laundry on the shelves and Alex had taken one.

"Excuse me." A boy wirh blonde hair and sunglasses walked towards the guard named Ethan.

"Yes?"

"I'm new here. I was told to meet Kevin Stoll in his office and I'm afraid I'm a bit lost. Can you help me?"

"Sure. What's yer name kid?" Ethan asked.

"James Sprintz." He felt a pang of guilt using his old friend's name back at Point Blanc Academy.

"What did you do that was do bad until you got called into the big man's office?" He chuckled.

Alex shrugged. "I don't know. But I won't find out until I get there now will I?"

"Alright James. Just take a left turn down the hallway and go to the fifth door on the right. There'll be a large metal plate number with Kevin Stoll's name on it. You'll see it." Alex just looked at him as confused as ever.

Ethan sighed and turned to his friend who approached them. "Josh! James here got lost finding Kevin's office. I'm not supposed to leave my post until later."

"Come on. I'm sure the boss won't mind. Isn't he at a board meeting right about now?"

"You have a good point. Could you take my place while I direct the boy to his office?"

"Sure."

"Say, kid. Have ya heard of a boy that goes by the name of Alex Rider? Rumour says he's a teenager just like you but I don't know how old he is though. Could be eighteen. He has blonde hair just like you. But I suppose that a lot of boys in the country have blonde hair huh? You heard of the kid?"

Alex shrugged again. "Can't say I have."

Soon enough, Ethan brought him to Kevin's office and Alex said his thanks as the agent left. There was no one standing there as Kevin probably didn't want any guards snooping around his office.

Alex saw that the office was padlocked. He had to hack his way in. But luckily, Ian Rider had taught him how to hack as one of his trainings and by now, Alex was an expert in it.

He started with all the possible numbers and soon, there was a click. He pushed the door open and slipped inside unnoticed.

Kevin's office was neat and tidy. There was a red carpet on the floor with a maghony desk and papers littered the table. The shelves had books by Homer, Hamlet, Shakespeare and Charles Dickens. The man had a thing for classics.

Alex begun his search for the red disc that would save Brookland. Until he felt something hit him on the head and he blacked out. Again.