“There is but I have a lecture to finish before I tell you it.” My turn to scowl. “Now back to it. They have a history and you can’t ignore it. You sure as hell should not ignore it because that’s basically dismissing the fact that he’s had a life before you. And that would make you a crappy girlfriend, and a crappy person in general. I know you and you are not a crappy person.

“Now that we’ve established you aren’t going to ignore their history,” I want to point out that we haven’t established anything because she’s not letting me talk, but she continues lecturing. “We can move on. It doesn’t make you a bad person not to like their history. Because I know this from experience, you are going to hate it the first time you meet his family and they look at you like you’re an outsider. That’s going to remind you of Lindsey and it’s going to piss you off. A lot.”

“Amanda,” I say gently. “Patrick’s ex is Amanda.”

“That’s what I said. Now again you are going to seriously dislike their history but as long as you respect it you’re fine. This brings me to your first point: being nervous about him being at lunch with her. Don’t’ be. They have history. History is past tense. It’s over done with and it’s staying in the past where it belongs. She might not like that, but I’ve seen the way Patrick looks at you, I hear him talk about you when you aren’t around. Anything with her is over for him. To him this just another lunch with an old friend.

“Now the second part: feeling bad about being nervous. Again, don’t be. Amanda is a snake and she wants Patrick back. She will capitalize on any and all weakness she finds in him. Luckily for you, she’s not going to find much when she goes sniffing around. Like I said, he’s crazy about you. But it’s natural to feel nervous about this. I did. It goes back to the not liking the history thing. It’s okay to be nervous. It doesn’t mean you don’t trust him. It’s just that you don’t like the situation. And no one can really blame you. He wouldn’t like it if you were hanging out with a guy who was interested in you still.

“And now for your third point: wondering if you should just leave. You don’t have a car.”

I wait for her to keep going like she has been. A few minutes later it becomes apparent that that’s all she has to say.

“You give me this big longwinded speech about everything else and all you have to say about that last point is that I don’t have a car?”

“It’s the only relevant thing to say.”

I shake my head at her, even though she can’t see me. “You know you’re insane right?”

“You only tell me every day.”

“Well you’re insane.”

“That’s twice today.”

I’m pretty sure the sound that comes out of my throat is part laugher part frustration. “You said you had a story?” Her advice was nice and all, but right now I need a distraction, not a lecture.

“I’m not sure you’re going to want to hear it,” she sighs. “But I’ll tell you anyway.”

“I’m waiting,” although a bit apprehensive now.

“Okay well you know how I don’t like Lindsey right?” I’m pretty sure everyone in the state of Illinois knows how she doesn’t like Lindsey. “Well part of it is because she’s Jonathan’s ex, and they have a huge history together. I’m really jealous of that, and I know it makes me a bad person but I’ve made my peace with it.

“Anyway part of it is because of the restaurant story that I’m about to tell you. So I know you know that my first awkward meeting with the ex-girlfriend was when we saw her in a restaurant.”

“Right, I already knew this.” Please get on with the story.

“Well, that’s not entirely true. I met her there, yes, but I wasn’t there when she first showed up. For a long time it was just her and Jonathan because I was running late,” I hear her take a deep breath, steeling herself for whatever she is going to say next. “When I got there they were kissing.”

I’m surprised I don’t literally fall over from shock. Captain Would Never Cheat On His Girlfriend No Matter What? Captain I Bought An Apartment Near Your Campus So I Can Visit? Captain I Love You So Much Let’s Move In Together? This man was kissing his ex? In front of his new girlfriend? What?

“Now before you go charging out the door to find your boyfriend let me finish the story. He didn’t know I was there. That might make it worse to you but just wait. He didn’t know I was there and he pushed her away. He told her he wouldn’t do this and to leave. He wasn’t interested.

“I witnessed all of this from ten feet away, too shocked to move. He told her to leave.

“When I did finally go up to the table she was gone. I didn’t have to tell him I’d seen everything, he told me all about it by himself. He told me that he wasn’t going to see her again, if that’s how she was going to act.”

“What did you do?” How did she get over that?

“I told him he needed to see her again. That I understood that she was a part of his life and if she still wanted to be then fine.” I have never in my life known my best friend to be so understanding. “I also told him to pass along the message that if she kissed him again I would break that pretty little nose of hers.”

That’s more like the Kailey I know.

“So what’s the moral of the story here?” I can guess but hey if I keep her talking it keeps me from running out the door to find out if history is repeating itself with my boyfriend.

“Moral is trust Patrick. He’s a lot like his best friend. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

“I do trust him,” again, I just don’t trust her.

“Well that’s good to hear because he’s probably going to be back any minute.” Her words become muffled, like she’s covering the phone. “I have to go,” she tells me. “Apparently my presence is needed at some event that my wonderful boyfriend forgot to tell me about until right now. Just stay put and talk to him when he gets back ok?”

I agree to stay put and force myself to sit down and wait. Then I regret it because all I have to do now is think.

Thinking can sometimes be a bad idea.

A/N: WHO SHIPS PATRICK AND JEN? I ship it. WHO SHIPS KAILEY AND JONATHAN? Lol probably no one. Anyone have any good ship names for these two couples? COMMENT GOOD SHIP NAMES I NEED THEM FOR THE NEXT UPDATE THANKS I LOVE YOU GUYS! Okay well I hope you guys like this update :) if you do vote and comment and all that stuff! I gotta go work out (ew I know but my friend asked so) love you guys and thanks for reading!