Adventures in Dress Shopping

I hate shopping.

Okay, that’s not right. I don’t mind shopping. I hate shopping with Kailey.

Yeah, that sounds more accurate.

We’re at the fourth store of the day, and so far we’ve bought nothing. I’m getting sick of clothing racks and dressing rooms. It’s not a crazy formal party. Can we just find something and be done please? We still have to get ready, and the party starts in a few hours.

“This would look amazing on you babe,” Jonathan says for the fifty-third time. Yes, I’ve been keeping count. He’s really mostly to blame for the long day I guess. Every time he sees something he thinks Kailey would look good in, he points it out to her. To be fair to him she would look good in most of it. But she always takes one look at the price-tag and backs away like the clothes are going to bite her.

“No,” she tells him this time without even turning to look at what he’s holding.

“Kailey,” I tell her. “Turn around, and look at that dress.”

She glares at me and mouths traitor, but does what I asked. Her mouth drops open when she sees the dress I’m talking about.

It’s short and black, with a corset top and sort of poofy skirt. The sides of the corset are cut out just under the bra cups, so that if she were wearing it her hockey tattoo would be on full display. It’s the perfect dress for her. It’s also not the dress Toews is holding up.

“I need that dress,” she whispers. “I must have that dress.”

Her boyfriend smiles proudly, thinking he’s finally won her over. But when she reaches behind him and pulls the dress off of the rack the smile is replaced by a dark scowl.

“No way in hell,” he growls. “You can’t wear something like that in front of the guys! They already ogle enough at you!”

“Excuse me,” she says to a passing sales person, completely ignoring her boyfriend. “I’d like to try this on.”

“Of course,” the woman smiles at her. “Right this way.”

The happy couple follows her into the dressing room nearby. Jonathan keeps sputtering out negatives on the dress and Kailey keeps ignoring him. I just laugh and go back to browsing for my own outfit.

I’m not much of a dress person. I’m not much of a dressy person either. Looking around at the clothes, I don’t think I’m going to find my outfit for the party here.

“Here,” Patrick says, stepping up next to me. “I think you’re going to look good in this.”

He’s not holding anything in his hands. I give him a look and try to fight off a blush. “I didn’t realize this party was clothing optional.”

He looks confused for a second before he gets it. He can’t hide his blush, it spreads across his face like wildfire. “I didn’t mean, what I was trying to do, I just,” he takes a deep breath. “I already had someone take it to the dressing room for you. I think you should try it on. I bet you look great in it.”