Fight For Us

"In what world?" I yell. "Do you think it's ok to ask me that question?"

I wouldn't expect my anger to shock him, but shock him it did. Why, I have no idea. He couldn't have expected any other reaction to that question.

"He's the reason you're in the hospital," he starts. "In my mind, that means he's not someone you want to keep around."

"Well look who finally discovered how to use their brain," I mutter. "Too bad that idiotic thought didn't die of loneliness like it deserved to."

"Jen," Patrick mutters. "Maybe I should—"

"No," I glare at him. "You aren't going anywhere." I turn my glare on my brother. "Not now, not any time soon, if I have any say in it."

The room becomes silent, and it's the two men are alternating between glaring at each other and sparing me wary glances. If I'm being fair, I earned those with my little outburst. But really, they should have expected it. It's me.

"This is all your fault you know," I amp my glare up a notch, but it doesn't faze my brother.

"Your sister and I have had this discussion," Patrick answers before I can. "And we will continue to have this discussion. Because it's very important for our future.

"But that doesn't mean you need to be involved in it. In fact," he smiles—really it's more baring his teeth, but whatever. "You really have no say in what we do or do not do. I know Jen wants to talk about your issues, but this isn't yours, it's ours."

More silence. Instead of glaring this time though I'm almost laughing. He wants to fight for me, as much as I want to fight for him. I like fighting for us.

"So," I say now, not even trying to hide my annoyance that my guest is still here. "Did you have anything else you wanted to talk about? Because if this is the only reason you're here, let me give you an answer.

"I'm not breaking up with Patrick," I give him a small smile. "Despite all of our problems, I think we can work through it.

"I know you know I was pregnant," Kailey told me he'd found out. "I know you know I'm not anymore." Kailey told me he was nothing but happy to hear that news. "So, I don't care what you tell people about that. But don't go telling people that I'm done with Patrick, or that I did something stupid and landed myself in the hospital. Because I'll know if you're saying this, or some other dumbass lie. Gossip spreads like wildfire, and we all know how drawn I am to flames.

"So are we done here?"

"We're done here," is all he says before storming out of the room. I'll probably feel a little bad later. Not right now though. And not bad enough to take back anything I just said.

"Did you mean that stuff?" I look over at my boyfriend. He's not looking at me though. He's staring at his hands, wringing them nervously.

"Did you?" I counter. I need to know where he stands first.

He nods slowly, still staring at his hands. "Me too," I tell him. He peeks up at me, expression guarded. "I want to fight for us."

He smiles slightly at me. "I want to fight for us too."

A/N: one last part. I'll post a big author's note there. in the meantime thanks for all the love for my stories <3