A (Failed) Escape

I sleep soundly and don’t wake up until nine the next morning. For a while after I wake up I lie in the bed, just listening for any noises across the hall. It takes a half hour before I’m convinced that my neighbor for the night has left, or at least gone downstairs.

After getting ready I creep down the stairs, just in case the happy couple is still, uh, making up. Seeing—and hearing—nothing, I climb slowly down the last few steps and head for the kitchen.

“They’re gone,” Kailey shouts from inside the kitchen. I walk in and stop dead at the sight that meets me.

“What the hell is all of this?” I gesture to the mountain of food covering the counters. “Are we feeding the entire city?”

“Yes haven’t you heard I cook for all of Chicago while Jonathan is gone,” she rolls her eyes and downs her glass of orange juice. “Team breakfast, he put me in charge for some reason. They’ll all be here within like ten minutes or something.”

It takes a few seconds for that to sink in, but when it does, “What?!”

“What?” she looks at me, barley awake. “Hey,” she says like she’s noticing my incredulous expression for the first time. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Are you kidding?” she shakes her head, looking sleepy and annoyed with my loud questions. It comes back to me then that she’s probably very hungover, but I don’t particularly care right now. “Did you not think to wake me up so I could be out of here by the time they got here? Kailey come on!”

She flinches and glares at me while pouring some more orange juice. “Excuse me for forgetting but I had some more important stuff to address last night,” she downs the second glass like it’s a shot. “And I was well—“

“She was a bit occupied this morning,” Tazer says as he walks into the kitchen, followed by Kane. I notice that they’re alone and breathe a sigh of relief. I still have a chance to escape before the entire team shows up.

“Too much information man,” Patrick says leaning on the wall next to me. “Besides we heard you guys half the night. We know how ‘occupied’ you were.”

Kailey nearly drops her glass in shock. If Jonathan didn’t have good reflexes his floor would be covered in orange juice.

“Oh my god,” she mutters, turning to hide her face in his chest. “I am so embarrassed I can’t believe you guys heard that.”

Toews tries glaring but mostly he just looks embarrassed and kind of proud. Also, he’s failing miserably at trying to hide his laughter.

“Guys,” he says, holding Kailey to his chest so she won’t see his smile. “That’s not cool, you shouldn’t be listening to us.”

He winces when Kailey pounds on his chest. “Stop laughing you jerk,” she mutters.

“I am not laughing,” he says, not even trying to hold back the grin on his face. “Guys am I laughing?”

“He’s laughing Kailey.”

“Totally laughing.”

We get harsh glares for selling him, which of course starts both Patrick and I laughing.

“Guys,” Kailey whines, still not having moved from her boyfriend’s arms. “Headache. Please keep it down over there.”

“Sorry,” Patrick says, but he doesn’t look like he means it. I don’t even bother apologizing because I know it would be a lie.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” she says, finally pushing away and getting yet another glass of orange juice. “You’re so sorry, blah blah blah.”

“He’s sorry babe,” glares exchanged by the men. “He will be at least.”

“Oh, shut it you idiots,” my best friend shuts them both up with her glare, causing me to laugh again. It’s always entertaining to see my tiny little friend strike fear into the hearts of grown men.

“Well, this has been fun and all,” I say, starting my exit. “But I have to head out, have fun with your team—“

“Oh fuck no,” the evil glare turns on me. “If I have to stay so do you.”

“I’m not a team girlfriend though,” I point out, still edging my way out of the room. “So technically—“

“If I have to stay, you have to stay,” she tries again. The glare intensifies. If she were to turn that glare on one of the guys in the room, they’d drop to their knees begging to do whatever it was she wanted. She is that scary.

The difference between me and the guys is that I’m not afraid of what she’ll do. She’s my best friend, has been for years. She’s stuck with me by now.

“Have fun!” I shout, before walking quickly to the door.

Before I can get there though it opens. Guess I’m staying for the team breakfast after all.

A/N: Happy new year! I hope you all had a safe and happy new year's and that you're doing well :) also I hope you're loving this story as much as I'm loving writing it. If you are please let me know in the comments what you think! I know a few of you have already told me that you're liking it, and that makes me really, really happy. AND thank you for almost 5oo reads! It hasn't even been a month since I started this story but it's already gone so far. That makes me so happy to see, so for every single read, every vote, every comment, thank you!!!