jaehyun [eighteen]

Tuesday afternoon found you back at the shrine with Mark and Jungwoo, finishing out your Onmyoji training for the day. You were sure Jungwoo would have wanted to continue, but you unfortunately had several midterm review sheets to work on, so you made sure the session ended earlier than usual.

Slinging your backpack over your shoulder, you bounded over towards the entrance to the shrine, waiting up for Mark for the two of you to make the trek back down together like you usually did.

"Oh, you can go ahead, Y/N," he dismissed you. "I'm staying to hang out with Sungchan."

"Alright, have fun!" You waved goodbye to the three of them before taking off down the mountain.

You pulled out your phone to call Jaehyun, putting the device next to your ear as you listened to it ring. Once, twice, three, four times before he picked up.

"Hey," his voice carried through your speakers as you watched your step going down the unused portion of trail that you were still on.

"Hey, Jae!" You greeted him brightly. "Can I come study at the shop again today? I'll buy you dinner."

"Sure, yeah," he agreed. "The pile is always open for you."

"Cool, thanks. I'll be there in fifteen or twenty."

"See you then."

"See you."

The raspberry door greeted you twenty-five minutes later, and you were surprised to see that there were customers in the shop. A couple, two guys holding hands as one flipped through albums and the other looked on, entirely disinterested in the music but definitely interested in his boyfriend. Jaehyun looked up from his book to you with a smile, watching as you walked around the counter.

"Hey, Jae," you returned the smile, pecking his cheek in passing.

"I was about to start getting worried, Y/N," he said teasingly, and looped an arm around your waist to pull you back towards him.

"Hit all the crosswalks at the wrong time."

"Ah, gotcha."

"Anyway, I'm going to try to outline my first essay for World Lit, then I was planning on heading down to Lenticular to get some takeout; I have some containers to return to Johnny anyway."

"Sounds good to me."

"Good."

"Good."

He still hadn't let go of you, and you looked down at him with an eyebrow raised. Jaehyun simply smiled up at you with that adorable dimpled smile and you found your heart racing even faster with every passing moment, not knowing what exactly he wanted from you.

After another few moments of silence, you finally asked, "Yes?"

He glanced over at the customers before gesturing for you to get closer. You obliged, bending down to rest your elbows on the counter and lean closer to him. He conspiratorially lowered his voice to ask, "Is this our second date, then?"

"You working and me studying? How romantic," you snorted sarcastically. "But sure, Jae, we can call it our second date."

"Cool."

"Can I go study now?"

"One more thing."

"Yes?"

In a move that shouldn't have surprised you, he shot forward to lock his lips with yours. A short and sweet kiss that ended almost as soon as you knew it was happening, Jaehyun returning to his book as if nothing had happened.

Not having a good comeback to that, you simply dropped your bag to the ground beside the nest—Johnny's emoji tupperwares rattling inside—then dropped yourself onto the nest and took out your World Literature midterm hints and got to work.

The couple checked out sometime later, but you barely registered it as you fervently flipped through your textbook to find that one specific quote you knew would be good for your point before scrawling it down.

After finally finishing your outline, you checked the time. Right around a good time to go get dinner. Your stomach growled. Okay, perfect time to go get dinner.

On your feet, you cracked your back once more, then slung your half-empty bag over your shoulder. You left all of your school stuff out to make it easier to get back into the groove after your dinner break. Walking all the way around the counter, you mischievously flicked Jaehyun's book closed. His thumb was on the page, meaning he didn't actually lose his spot, but he still looked up from it with slight annoyance.

"I'm heading to Lenticular now. Be back soon," you informed him.

"Alright," he stood up from his stool to lean forward and peck your forehead. "Be safe."

Stepping back from the counter with wide eyes, you choked out, "Will do."

At Lenticular, you had barely set foot in the café when Renjun spotted you, gesturing for you to wait as he attended to a table. You took the time to bring the empty containers out from your bag. Holding them out to him as he came back to the host's stand, you were surprised to have him immediately replace them with ones already filled with food, still warm.

"How—"

"Your boyfriend called ahead."

Not even having the wherewithal to correct Renjun on the fact that you'd only technically gone on one date with Jaehyun and he most definitely was not your boyfriend at that point in time, you instead went to reach for your wallet.

"He also paid ahead too."

"Then—"

"Goodbye."

And so you left Lenticular Café.