prologue [eight]

Leaving your last class of the day that afternoon, you pulled out your phone and called Johnny, as per his text request from earlier. The line rang a couple times before he picked up.

"Hey, Y/N," your friend's voice came through your speakers.

"Hey, Johnny, what's up?"

"I have an idea, that might help awaken your powers."

"Your last one wasn't all that great," you pointed out with a hint of playfulness.

You could imagine the frank look on Johnny's face as he paused before continuing, "I wanted to wait for you to get your powers before introducing you to some people. But..."

"I haven't gotten them yet."

"Yeah. Do you have plans tonight?"

"Nope."

"Fantastic. Now you do. Meet me back at the café at seven. Bring whoever you like."

"Alright..." You agreed, wondering why he wanted you to meet him at his ruined café. "Can you ask Renjun if he'll come? I'd like for most of the group to be there."

"Renjun will be there," the Domeki assured you.

"Don't force him."

"I won't have to."

"Okay, thank you. I can ask Jeno and Yuta myself. That just leaves Sicheng..."

"I've got him."

"Thank you! Okay, so, seven tonight?" You confirmed the details.

"Yep, at the café."

"Nice, Taeyong and I will definitely be there."

"See you then, little lady."

"Bye, Johnny."

When you returned to Lenticular Café that night, you were able to walk right in. No door. Looking around, you were able to fully take in the carnage from the night before: smashed tables and chairs, booths ripped out from the walls, holes in the floor and water spurting forth from them like fountains. It seemed as though not a single wall, piece of furniture, or square foot of the place had been spared. You were greeted by Johnny and Renjun, who didn't seem to be there against his will. They were standing in a somewhat clear and dry area by the front door, right near where you reckoned Renjun's host stand would've been normally.

"Hey, guys," you waved cheerfully to them, carefully stepping over the rubble towards them.

A 'woah!' came from behind you, and you turned just in time to see Taeyong falling to the floor, his foot having gotten caught on a cracked table leg. You doubled back to offer him a hand up, looking him over for injuries. With a pout on his lips, he held his hand out toward you. A splinter was in the palm of his hand.

With a sigh, you looked to Johnny, "Got any tweezers around here? Or tape, that'll work too."

"Some of my office supplies were protected by my desk," Johnny nodded, cautiously making his way back through the café.

He reemerged from his office with a roll of duct tape.

"Perfect!" You accepted it from him, ripping off a piece.

"Who else is coming, little lady?" Johnny asked, watching as you pressed it over Taeyong's palm.

"Both Jeno and Yuta will be here," you informed him, smoothing the tape down. "Did you ask Sicheng?"

"Oh, he'll be here too."

At your curious look, he further explained, "When he first started up at your folks' bookstore, he came by and introduced himself and left his number with us. I gave him a call."