Chapter 70 - 🖤

Start from the beginning

I sit and watch her, waiting for any signs of movement. Waiting to see if her beautiful eyes will open up once again.

When she doesn't move or open her eyes, I blow out a deep breath and stand up. My fingers run through her hair and I look away from her with tears in my eyes.

Before leaving her room, I lean down to kiss her head. My lips linger there for a few moments and then I walk out and make my way up to the rooftop.

Once I get there, I walk to the edge of the roof and lean over, looking all the way down to the street. The people at the bottom look like a bunch of tiny ants running around.

"You're not going to jump are you?" Sarah's voice cuts through my thoughts, causing me to stand up straight.

I turn around to face her and see her with a worried expression. She's standing a few feet away from me with her arms crossed over her chest.

Sarah came back to New York a week after the attack at the mansion and Roxie getting shot. Charlotte had called her to let her know everything that happened and Sarah came back as soon as she could.

A week after she returned, we all attended Theos funeral. Marcus was obviously messed up about it the most. They grew up together after all and were practically brothers.

Sarah has always been calm in situations like this and she does her best to keep everyone else calm. With the life that we live, it's good to have someone like her around.

"No, I'm not." I tell her while walking away from the edge of the roof. "What are you doing up here?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "I could ask you the same question. In all honesty though, I figured you might want to talk."

"Well, I don't." I respond, sounding more rude than I meant to sound.

I walk back over to where I was before and look out at everything. All the buildings, cars and people. Sarah follows and stands beside me, letting out a low sigh.

"That's fine if you don't want to talk. You could just listen instead." She says, still looking out at everything before us.

I roll my eyes and turn to her, "Look, I love you and all but I don't want to hear it."

"Well, that's too bad then because you're going to have to hear it." She raises her voice as she finally turns to face me.

I raise an eyebrow at her but don't say anything. I'm really not in the mood to argue right now. I just want my damn wife awake and in my arms again. Is that too much to fucking ask for?!

"I'm sure that you heard this about a thousand times already, but I'm going to repeat it and hopefully it'll be the last time you hear it." She says, before sucking in a deep breath and looking up at me with sadness in her eyes. "I know that this is hard for you and it'll most likely be the hardest thing that you'll ever have to do... but you need to let her go."

My jaw clenches with anger and I look at everything else around me except for, Sarah. I swear if I hear one more person say this shit to me, I might just kill everyone.

"Damon, I have no doubt that she's in a lot of pain right now. Do you really want her to suffer like that? Stuck in a hospital bed with a tube down her throat that breathes for her." She places her hand on my arm and looks at me with sympathy. "Roxie wouldn't want this, Damon."

"Don't." I push her hand away from me and take a step back from her. "Don't you dare tell me that bullshit and stand there acting like you know how I feel. You don't."

Sarah looks at me with tears in her eyes and gives me a sad smile before saying, "Well, maybe I do know how you feel."

I look at her in confusion, "What are you talking about?"