Chapter 17 - 🖤

•Damon's POV ~

Days passed and it's now the evening of the New Years Ball. I make my way downstairs to the ballroom after getting dressed.

"Madre, you look beautiful." I say to my mom before placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Grazie, figlio. Where were you?" She asks with narrowed eyes. "Almost everyone is already here."

Shrugging my shoulder, I glance around the room, "I was getting ready. It's not like I need to rush. This is my place."

"Hah!" She scoffs and raises a brow. "You may be the boss of them but don't forget, I'm the boss of you. Don't make me bend you over my knee in front of all these people."

I cross my arms over my chest and shake my head at her words, "You can't be serious, madre."

She stares me down without speaking, looking dead serious. I throw my head back and let out a laugh before turning to walk away but she stops me before I could take a step.

"Oh, Damon! Where is my future daughter in law? I'd like to meet her. Sooner rather than later." She tells me, her foot tapping the floor impatiently.

"Relax... I'm going to pick them up now. I wanted to see for myself that everything was going smoothly before I left." I speak while glancing around the almost full ballroom.

"Them?" She asks with a confused look on her face.

I smirk at her confusion, turn on my heel, and walk away without another word.

Opening the door and walking into my security room, I see three of my men sitting in front of multiple screens, all of which show different areas of the mansion before transitioning to another area.

"Everything good?" I ask, shutting the door behind me and glancing between screens.

"Yes, boss." Mark, one of the men, speaks up.

"I don't want anything going wrong tonight. Keep your eyes on the screens. If any of you see anything suspicious, you let me know immediately while going to check it out. If you see a person somewhere they're not supposed to be, you let me know immediately while going to check it out. If any of you fuck up and something does go wrong, I will personally deal with you in the pit." I warn them, keeping my tone low and even. "Capisci?"

"Yes, boss." They all speak in unison.

"Daniel, let everyone else know what I just said." I say to one of my men before he nods and speaks into his earpiece to the rest of my security.

I pull out my phone and turn it on at the same time that I hear a faint cough from the corner of the room behind me.

My eyes rise up from my phone screen and I turn around to see a young boy looking out of place. He's a lot skinnier compared to my other men and he definitely doesn't look over twenty yet so I know I didn't hire him.

I put my phone back into the inside of my tuxedo pocket, never taking my eyes off of him. He fidgets a little and looks to the floor.

"Who are you?" I ask, my voice deep and steady.

"Ummm... m-my name is... is..." He stutters, immediately annoying me. "P-pab-"

"Spit it out." I cut him off impatiently, causing the boy to flinch back, "I don't have all fucking night. Who the fuck are you?"

"His name is Pablo." Elijah, another one of my men, speaks up from behind me. I turn around to face Elijah and raise a brow, signaling for him to continue explaining. "I was out a few days ago and I saw him in an alley. He looked pretty starved so I bought him some food. When I asked if he wanted me to take him somewhere, he said he had no where to go so I-"