Chapter 16 - 🖤

W A R N I N G
Disturbing Content For Some Readers
I will show you these warning signs "⚠️" so you'll know when it begins and when it ends for those of you who do not want to read it.

•Roxie's POV ~

I jump off of Damon's lap at the sound of gunshots. He immediately stands up and pulls out a gun from his drawer.

"Stay here, lock the door when I leave, and hide inside my closet." He says in a calm voice. How can he be calm at a time like this?

Tears begin falling down my face and my heart pounds so hard, I feel like it'll burst out of my chest at any moment. I grab his arm tightly and ask in a panic, "You're leaving me?!"

"Shh..." He wipes away my tears with his thumbs before telling me in a comforting tone, "I'll be back in a few minutes, amore."

I start sobbing and shaking with fear. I don't want to be left alone. He gives me a soft kiss before telling me, "Lock the door right when I walk out and go into my closet, please. I'll come back to you, I promise."

I nod my head. Placing one last peck on my lips, he walks out the door and closes it behind him. Once it shuts, I run and lock it before hiding inside his closet and sitting down in the corner.

I bring my knees to my chest and hug my legs tightly while putting my head down. I try to block out all of the noise but it doesn't disappear. All I hear is gunshots and screaming. They seem to be going on forever.

I don't know how long I stayed in his closet but the next thing I hear is Damon's office door being kicked down. I flinch and try to stay as quiet as possible. Images of him flash through my mind but I try to push them away.

He isn't here. He isn't here.

I repeat those words over and over again in my head. How could he be here? He can't. He isn't here. I'm okay and Damon will come back to me. He promised me he would.

The gunshots finally stop and all I hear are the sounds of heavy footsteps slowly moving around in the office. I'm too terrified to move from my spot so I stay frozen in the position that I'm in; knees to my chest, arms around my legs, and head down with my eyes shut tight.

Damon's closet door starts to slowly open. I hold my breath as the door opens wide and then stops. It's quiet for a few seconds before two more shots go off, causing me to jump and scream.

The sound of a body hits the floor. My eyes are still shut tight when I feel a pair of hands grab my arms.

"No! Let me go! Damon!!" I scream out loud and struggle while tears flow freely down my face. I'm going to die, aren't I?

"Shh, It's me. I'm here, amore. It's okay. I got you." Damon's soothing voice pours into my ears as he wraps his arms around my shaking body and holds on tight. The scent of him fills my lungs and I hesitantly relax in his arms.

"Y-you came back to me. You didn't b-b-break your promise." I stutter through sobs as I grip his shirt, never wanting to let go. I'm safe now.

He grabs the back of my thighs and lifts me up. I instantly wrap my legs around his waist, bury my head in his neck and wrap my arms around him, holding on as if my life depended on him.

"I told you I would. I would never break my promise to you." He whispers gently in my ear as he holds me tight against him.

"Don't let me go." I mumble against his neck, the haunting thoughts of my past still lingering in my head.