Whumptober- I think I need a doctor

A/N this one picks up immediatly after the last one. 

I think I need a doctor

Intubation, emergency room, reluctant bedrest

"you know, the more I think about this the more it makes sense."

Dick gave a sideways glance towards Jason but brought his eyes back to the rough terrain.

"how so?" he asked.

"well, I mean," Jason shrugged, "when I was younger you never seemed like the detective type, or the hero type. I always thought you'd go do some masters in something tech related and invent crazy things or I don't know, whatever," he frowned at the ground, picking his way through the underbrush, "when I found out you were joining the police force and studying law and criminology I thought you must have been possessed or something."

"ah," Dick winced, "yeah, I had a huge one eighty after I found the bat cave, I guess my sense of duty kicked in."

"right, because a rich kid ward of Bruce Wayne is obligated to save the city every other week," Jay chuckled.

Dick shrugged, "I don't know what to tell you."

Cas blinked in a moment of realisation then signed, "what about the capture situation?"

"yeah," Jay looked to him, "was that like, a long mission or something?"

Dick winced and rubbed at the back of his neck, "long story."

"really dude?" Jay raised an eyebrow, "I think we have time."

Dick swallowed, nervous, beginning to think on those two years. They weren't fun.

"I was captured, yeah, that wasn't fake," Dick said, looking only at where he was walking, "it wasn't a mob situation though, or whatever."

Bruce frowned, "what happened?"

"oh," Jay near-gasped, "oh, wait, Bruce doesn't know?"

"Barbara knows, that's it," Dick said.

"oh, shit," Jay hissed, "what happened?"

Dick sighed, feeling the weight of Jay, Bruce's and Cas's stares.

"there's a mercenary; Deathstroke," Dick said, "he's..."

"that's the one we dealt with seven months ago?" Bruce asked.

Dick nodded, "we have a history. He and I ran into each other a few times, I stopped some of his hits, that kind of thing."

"so he tried to kill you?" Jay asked, confusion seeping through his voice.

Cas looked at Dick with a tilted head, she signed, "he tried to make you join him?"

Dick pursed his lips, avoiding their looks. He nodded, "yeah. He tried."

Dick took a deep breath, forging on through the forest. The three left behind in shocked worry seemed to take the hint- he did not want to talk about this right now.

They walked on, the ground sloping, following the creek. It got bigger and smaller as they went, large rocks springing up in some places, mere pebbles in others.

Dick kept a keen eye, gazing out, constantly trying to catch any shift in the distance.

Cas elbowed Jason in the side, pointed to a huge rock engulfed in tree roots, the side hovering over the edge of the creek, several other rocks beneath it, the only way up to the top would be a precarious parkour track, "bet you can't climb that," she signed.