Whumptober- Breathe In, Breath Out

A/N So, like, i enjoyed writing this. i don't know why but i love having Dick genuinely be a villain, it's fun. 

but it doesn't really fit the prompt.

do i care?nope.

but that's your warning. 

Breathe In, Breathe Out Delayed drowning, chemical pneumonia, oxygen mask

Artemis' hand drifted onto Wally's shoulder, a small piece of support, barely there, inaudible, but he felt it and was thankful for it.

His free hand reached out, silent, he didn't know if she'd accept but she did, wrapping one arm around him from the side in a hug that allowed him to continue to hold his umbrella against the rain, staring at the stone.

She rested her head on his shoulder, blonde hair draping over her eyes in a curtain. Wally's suit crinkled, he didn't much care, the shoulders were already dark with raindrops anyway.

In the corners of his eyes he could spot the rest of the crowd. Silent. Heads bowed. His breathing seemed to hiccup as his eyes landed on Bruce, closest to the plot. The ceremony was finished and people were starting to slowly bleed away, breaking off and leaving others to show respect privately.

M'Gann and Conner drifted over to Wally and Artemis, holding an umbrella each. M'gann's cheek was still bruised. Not far off Kaldur stood, alone, without an umbrella, one arm in a sling.

"any news on Zatanna?" M'Gann asked, voice quiet, small.

Wally shook his head.

"where's Roy?" he asked Artemis. He hadn't spoken in a while and his voice sounded like it, slightly croaky, weighted down with tears.

Artemis pursed her lips, shook her head slightly against Wally's shoulder.

"he should be here," Wally said, "how can-"

Artemis waited for him to pick the sentence up again. He didn't. the lump in his throat had returned and he was struggling to keep it down.

Eventually Kaldur wandered over to them as well. There weren't many people left, just their little congregation, Bruce and Alfred nearer to the stone, a few leaguers a way's away, closer to their cars but still clearly in mourning, just further away.

Barry strode over, slow, for the first time quiet. He drifted behind Wally, placing a hand on the shoulder Artemis wasn't leaning against.

"do you want a lift?" he asked, quiet.

Wally shook his head, "I'm heading to the mountain."

Barry nodded, knowing exactly why.

"I'll come with you," Artemis said.

"no," Wally swallowed, "no, it's fine. I want to be alone."

They drifted apart slowly, falling apart at the seams. Wally gave Artemis his umbrella and walked away in the rain, letting it soak into his hair and weigh it down, letting it drench his suit. His leather shoes and once-white socks turned sodden, he didn't bother to miss the muddied holes in the gravel now filled with water.

The cave announced his arrival, he paid no heed. He marched down to the grotto, striding to stare at the new hologram, bright against the dark shadows of the cave.

He heard them walking in, slow, following. He didn't turn to look.

"Wally."

Wally clenched his jaw, hands in his pockets. He refused to look.