One Day They'll Laugh about This (not today though)

Whumptober 2021- day twenty-three
You break it, you buy it
Auction, ransom, pursuit

He'd told his fellow captains that drinking before the ceremony was a bad idea. He'd told them. Sure, he hadn't drunk anything himself, but his friends got him to relax and then the pub had been raided and now here Dick was, being pushed into his first heat in two years.

a prequel to the other pirate one

Angelica sighed dramatically as she sprawled out on the bench across from Slade, the table between them obscuring everything except her knees.

"Good to know what you think of being back on land," Slade said.

"I am a pirate," Angelica said, and Slade didn't need to look at her to know she was pouting, "I do not have land legs."

"Next time I need a right hand for a dirt-side adventure I'll bring Billy."

"The promise is appreciated."

Slade's eye narrowed in on the two people who'd just entered the pub. It wasn't officially a military establishment, but this was the capital of Bludhaven so it was filled to the brim with cocky officers gearing up to flash medals at the latest officer ceremony for the newest batch of captains being promoted a rank or two. the two people who'd just walked in sported grey and blue uniforms with rank markings pridefully displayed.

"Do we have an update on why there's so much noise here yet?"

"no," Slade said, watching the two officers with half his effort and then using the other half to survey the rest of the pub.

"I still don't understand why we're investigating whispers."

"Because those whispers are talking about a trafficking ring," Slade said, noticing the stiffness to Angelica's posture as she finally sat up, "specifically for omegas."

Angelica's scent soured and she scowled, "then I suppose I'll earn my land legs quickly."

Slade shot her an appreciative look and continued to pay attention to the pub.

"a specific kind of ring?"

"Not by the looks- they nab anyone who might get good money. First presentations seem most common from the vague talk, but there's definitely more. I think they've got their hands in something powerful."

"they cater to their customer model," Angelica said, "must be a big business if they can bother to spend time curtailing to their buyers," her voice was a hissed disgusted sound.

"exactly." Slade leaned back in feigned comfort so he could get a bigger view of the pub, "time to destroy it, I believe."

Dick had taken teas, medicines, other remedies, to stave off his heats ever since he presented as an omega. He didn't like the weakness that came with the fog, and he hated the fact that his scent became a beacon to any alpha in the area. His family had always told him he could let himself feel safe in the nest in the castle, and Dick knew that using medicines to stave off heats when he was still young could be detrimental. But since he'd run away from Gotham and joined Bludhaven's military he'd pushed his heats away.

They'd injected him with something and ripped off his scent blockers, and he could feel that fog pressing him down.

He'd told his fellow captains that drinking before the ceremony was a bad idea. He'd told them. Sure, he hadn't drunk anything himself, but his friends got him to relax and then the pub had been raided and now here Dick was, being pushed into his first heat in two years.