32: What could Jiang Cheng possible say?

Jiang Cheng looked at Wei Ying who only looked up from the table to look at the man who held him close, as if afraid.

'Wei WuXian ...'

'Yes?' he finally looked at Jiang Cheng who broke the silence before he stopped and looked back to the table.

'I have no idea what to say ... how to word everything ....'

'Then don't try.' Wei Ying smiled slightly as he felt Lan Zhan's hand on his hip tighten just a little. 'Zhan, there really are some things that are impossible to raise.'

'I raised everything I did and asked ... no, I begged you to forgive me some time ... he sits here and doesn't even ...'

Wei Ying reached out and took his free hand. 'Zhan ... some ...'

'HanGuang-Jun is right.' Jiang Cheng said then with a deep breath he looked straight at Wei WuXian. 'The truth is ... I resented you for being stronger than me from the very start. You never had to struggle to do things, you never received negative words from my father, you seemed to sail through everything with a laugh and a smile ... I didn't know that you were suffering as much as you were. When I would hear them all talking about maybe you should have been the heir ... there were times I really wanted to hate you ... and in time ... I allowed people to talk me that bit further to ... throw you away. Even before you died I wanted to distance myself from you for my own sake and it had nothing to do with you using Demonic Cultivation. I know, and knew back then, my parents deaths were not your fault, the destruction of Lotus Pier was not your fault, but I placed all that blame on the only person who would never strike me down ... no matter how badly I spoke about and too you. I know that my sister's death was not your fault. I watched as she saved your live by pushing you out of the way of that blade that was aimed at your back ... after you died ... I lashed out at everyone with the name Wei because you were not there to take the brunt of my anger. I captured anyone who was even rumoured to use Demonic Cultivation. My sect .... No ... there is one thing I did note before you died and I never once allowed myself to mention it to anyone. At the temple after HanGuang-Jun was injured and you were knocked out ... I completely rejected the idea.'

'Jiang Cheng ....'

'No, I will say it Wei WuXian. After my parents died, I did note that my golden core was much stronger ... I noted that it didn't feel like it use to ... I knew something was wrong but I refused to think about it. I think deep down, when you never again used your sword, I think part of me knew what you had done. Even though no one would ever contemplate doing what you did ... you did it without saying a damned word even to me. But even without your golden core ... you were still stronger than I was. You ended up walking the path of Demonic Cultivation because you had your golden core placed in me to save my life, and because of that ... you were killed ... by me.'

'You did not kill me.' Wei Ying leant into Lan Zhan's arms as he had wrapped them around him when Jiang Cheng began to talk. 'I was already hanging off the cliff ... the cliff ... after you removed your sword ... I could see that it was beginning to crumble ... if I didn't ... do what I did .... Lan Zhan might have fallen with me .... I could not have let that happen.' His hand rose and gripped Lan Zhan's robe as he remembered the fear of Lan Zhan falling with him.

'Wait ...' XiChen started but the look in Lan Zhan's eyes stopped him. 'We will talk about this part another time.'

'Thank you.' Wei Ying's voice was so small it was only just heard.

'I know that my jealousy of your power was used by most of the sect leaders to turn me from you. My deepest fault is I willingly allowed them to do this.'