8: Wei Ying's bad timing

Time Skip --- two and a half years since Wei Ying was thrown away

When he found out the truth, Lan Zhan had soon locked himself away in seclusion and didn't step from his room again, but only after looking for Wei Ying for over a year with no luck. His fear of facing that man had sent him into hiding, but now .... He had to rejoin his sect .... Face up to what he did and do all he could.

Jiang Cheng had agreed to not go looking for Wei Ying so just tried to keep Jin Ling from going out there in search for his uncle. This had not been easy as he realised all those threats had long since stopped working on him. So he just had to wait for his nephew to return and sulk around the sect.

However for Wei Ying, the two and a half years after being thrown away seemed to pass both excruciatingly slowly .......

And heart poundingly fast.

Almost every day he would cough up some blood and with barely any time to rest, he would move on.

The world around him looked to him as if time had somehow slowed to a snails pace. The sounds of the animals around him, the leaves that crunched under his boots all sounded dull and drawn out.

However days seemed to have sped past him without him even noticing their passing.

Season turned over in rapid succession as if the previous one had never been there.

For the last year, he has almost never seen anyone ... when he knows someone is closing in on his position, he would race as far away as he could get.

However just last night, he fought eleven fierce corpses and he tore this outer robe just enough that made him need to go into a small town to buy a needle and thread to mend it.

Of all the things he didn't have on him, it was what he needed to mend his own cloths.

So he walked a short distance towards a smallish town and looked into the entrance.

Stalls lined both sides of the road into town.

People spilled into the street.

People talking loudly.

People weaving in and out of each other.

People laughing.

People greeting each other.

People.

People.

People!

Wei Ying took a deep breath, checked to see if his mask was in place, then quickly checked to see if the silver was in his robe before walking in the gates.

The second he stepped over the threshold he would swear dozens of men raced at him offering him liquor to taste, trying to hand him slips of paper where their places of business were.

He sneered under his mask at their noise even as he used his sheathed sword to hold out in front of him like a barrier.

They all stopped dead and hurried back where they had been.

The sheer aura of him had them suddenly realise how bad it would be to try even talking to him.

It had been difficult to keep walking into the town as it felt like the noise, smells and people wanted to wrap around him and drag him down. The stench of this town, that he had never noticed before, assaulted him with every step.

Not just the smells of food and liquor but the unbelievable stench that people made and then there was their waste. His nose burnt as it forced its way in, refusing him to ignore it.