12: Consequences of not using Demonic Cultivation

Weeks later, SiZhui was picking up Wei Ying's tray; he paused before taking what was left. This was the day he had been asked to report about the about eaten and even if the healing potion was touched.

Lan SiZhui hurried to Lan XiChen as asked.

'Master Wei still only eats from the plain dishes and doesn't even touch the liquor or the healing drink for his throat.'

'How much of the plain foods did he eat?' Jiang Cheng cut in. He had made sure to be here for this report about Wei Ying.

'The rice half was left and the soup, half of that was left also.'

'What about his midday meal?'

'The tray was not even touched. The morning meal, again he only ate half the rice but nothing else. It is the same every day ... he only eats the rice and plain dish and never anything at lunch time, and from what I can tell, he eats no more or no less than before.'

'Does he remove his gloves or mask during your lessons?'

'No ZeWu-Jun. He only talks when he must and ... I am sorry to say it like this but .... He now talks as little as HanGuang-Jun used too.' He noted the mans pained look. 'I'm sorry HanGuang-Jun.'

'Not your doing SiZhui.'

'I want to tell him the truth of who I am but .... It really is not the right time.'

'You are right. Master Wei is in no condition either mentally, emotionally or physically to handle such happy news.' Master Lan gave the boy a sad smile. Yes, at first he had been totally against this Wen child coming into the Lan sect but he has proved to be worthy of their efforts to raise and train him. He looked at his nephew who was more like a father to the boy than just a teacher. 'You really did well raising SiZhui WangJi.'

'Thank you Uncle.' But even though he felt good about SiZhui he just couldn't show it past the pain of Wei Ying. 'I'm not even sure if Wei Ying will ever be able to be what he was before. Some emotional damage is .... Impossible to move past.'

Lan XiChen looked to his brother who looked almost broken before looking back to SiZhui. 'Thank you. If he is still not eating more at the end of the week ... I will talk with Master Wei in person.'

'Thank you. We are all worried about him.' SiZhui bowed to them then hurried to his own meal where his friends waited for him. He had offered, rather sternly, that he would be the one to take Master Wei his meals in the morning, afternoon and evening. He never missed a single meal as he needed to personally keep a check on any kind of Change himself. Even if he never even once touched the lunch meals, he would still take them. He had to know if Wei WuXian was alright.

At the end of the week XiChen walked over to Wei Ying's room and gave a small knock but heard nothing from inside. 'Master Wei, I would like to talk to you about your meals?' he paused for a short time only to realise he was not going to get a response. 'Would you rather a different set of dishes ... so you eat more? We are willing to have them made.'

'Leave.'

With that single word response, XiChen sighed deeply before giving it one last try. 'Very well Master Wei, but if you require anything just inform someone or leave a note.' He walked away feeling defeated.

A few months later Wei Ying heard the bell that said it was eight o'clock, so he lay on the bed and fell asleep even before the nine o'clock bell sounded.

Even as he fell asleep, three words ran around in his mind. Not long now. What this meant he didn't know or even try to find out.

Lan Zhan had been on patrol that night when the eight o'clock bell sounded and as he again just happened to be within sight of Wei Ying's rooms, he noted the light went off straight away and no one came out. It was the same every night he was on patrol; the lights of that room always went out at, or before, eight o'clock. This time he could not stop himself staying where he was watching Wei Ying's windows for the whole night ... until a faint half chocked scream drifted to him at around three a.m. and a light shone in the rooms.