The Demise of Black

The Skeld was eerily quiet tonight, like it could feel that something was bound to happen tonight. That's because it was, my girlfriend needed to be fed and there was a man about to be murdered to make that happen. The very idea of such a brutal thing sent electricity through my body. Is this what Pink felt like when her prey was just in her reach? The feeling of suspense and excitement, all wrapped up with a pretty bow? It made me feel alive, made me feel like I was going crazy.

Just two weeks prior, if I ever had such a thought in my mind, I would of thrown myself out of the ship through the garbage chute, just like what Black did with poor Blue. I know I wouldn't be able to live with the guilty of the very idea rattling around in my skull. But Pink change my mind about everything. I was obsessed with her. Everything I would ever do will be for the sweet and gentle and blood-thirsty girl locked up in her bedroom, being watched for murder.

I turned the corner from Electrical and went left down towards Lower Engine and up towards the Upper one. There wasn't a soul walking the hallways of the ship. Not even the security cameras placed strategically along the ceilings of the hallways was manned, just laying limp on their posts with no blinking lights.

This left a manic smile on my face. There was literally no better time. Red and Lime and Purple was off doing who-knows-what and Black was left alone and vulnerable outside of Pink's cell or patrolling the hallways. I again patted my pocket to make sure the knife concealed in the folds of my clothes was not visible. I needed Black to be completely clueless of my intent, I needed the upperhand to be able to slice his throat with the sharp-toothed blade of the steak-knife.

Passing Security, I finally heard footsteps echoing through the ship, each footfall calculated and concise. My ears perked up at the sound and I immediately backed myself up against the wall. I had no reason to become defenseful, as literally nobody on board had any idea that I was working together with the imposter that had made its home among us. Yet, I felt afraid that whoever it was could hear my thoughts in my head, as if you could see the words "HEY LOOK, I'M THE IMPOSTER!!" plastered across my forehead. 

I forced myself to stop breathing heavily and to get my nerves under control. The knife was hidden, but people will ask if everything was alright with me if I am pale and sweaty. And, who knows, those footsteps may not belong to the black-wearing astronaut but maybe Purple or Lime, and if things go south it'll be easy to take them down... I hope.

Taking a deep breath, I continued my way down the hallway, getting closer to the unknown person lurking around the ship.

Right outside of Upper Engine, when I felt like my knees were going to give out from underneath me because of my anxiety, I finally found the owner of the echoing footsteps.

"Brown? Brown, are you okay? You aren't looking well..." His gruff and deep voice asked me, just as loud and nerve-wracking as the footsteps.

I'm quiet as I look the man up and down. The worse-case scenario just had to happen and now I found myself face-to-face with Black much sooner than I would have liked. I felt strong and unstoppable when I was just thinking about butchering the big male for his flesh, but now, with him right in front of me, I feel as strong as a flea, nothing more than a blood-thirsty, disgusting insect that you could squish between your fingers.

I tried to put my trembling self back together and wave my hand dismissively at Black's friendly concern. "I'm sorry to worry you," I say, smiling nervously, hoping he would see that I was fine. "Just a little sick stomach is all. I guess that with everything going on and not being on land is making me a little nauseous. I'll be okay."

He cocks his head to one side and I watch him look me up and down. I pray to whatever greater force was watching over me at that moment to make sure the knife was properly hidden and he couldn't see the obvious bulge on my chest.