A Call from MIRA HQ

It's been a long and gruelling four whole months since I and my team of 8 other crewmates have first landed on the surface of the planet Polus. I remember very fondly when I was approached by the Commander of MIRAHQ, our teams space shuttle, and told to pack my bags and get to know my crew, as I was headed to colonize a brand new planet many lightyears away from base. As a lowly flight engineer, it was always my dream to be given the chance to prove myself on a special mission, and I was finally given the chance!

But now, here I was, my hands full of wires as I attempt to fix our electricity for about the hundredth time today. I glanced over at my partner, another flight engineer like myself, who was wearing a yellow coloured space suit. His name was Yellow, and he too seemed to be struggling with matching up wires and soldering them together. 

"How's it going, Yellow?" I ask, holding the soldering gun up to two pink coloured wires and melting them together. Yellow raises his visor on his helmet and wiped sweat from his brow before answering. "I'm getting there, Brown," he grunts as he tries to reach for his soldering gun without letting go of the wires in his hand. "This job would be way more easier if I had another set of hands..."

I laugh and began to pack up the gun into its case. I shuffled over to the wall away from the generators and placed the case back on the shelf overhead. I mimicked Yellow and lifted my visor to wipe my forehead and to have a quick breath of fresh air. "I'm all done," I tell Yellow, putting my visor back down over my face. He turns with a jealous look on his face. "No fair!" He complains. "How can you do this task so fast?"

"I don't know, I guess I'm just good at fixing wires," I shrug. "All these years as an engineer makes a person pretty good with wires and electricity." 

"You are the head engineer of our team for a reason," Yellow smiles. "Maybe one day, I'll be better at wires that you will ever be!"

"In your dreams, Yellow," I laugh again and head my way to the front door of the Electrical Building. "Now, get back to work and put down your visor, I'm going to spend some time outside." 

"Okay, but be careful," Yellow says, flicking his visor down on his helmet. "Make sure to watch your back, we still don't know if there is any life-forms on this God-forsaken planet."

"Don't worry about me, you just make sure you get your task done, okay? See you later," I say goodbye to Yellow and place my hand against the scanner near the door. A shrill chime played as the scanner read my palm and the red light turned blue. A mechanical sound echoed throughout the building as the doors opened themselves up with a gust of air. 

I make my way out of Electrical and out into the wilderness of the planet Polus. Polus was a very small planet right out on the very edge of the galaxy. It was one of the first planets this far out that MIRAHQ's scanners picked up on that could possibly sustain life. There was an atmosphere, signs of water, and a level of gravity that closely resembles the simulated gravity that was on our space shuttle. Even though the planet's size wasn't ideal, Polus quickly became our team's pride and joy as it was MIRA's first and only distant research planet. I have lived my whole life aboard the MIRA, but I now consider Polus to be my home. 

I walked slowly across the field, watching the strange weather falling around me. Polus is a very cold planet and it's unknown that the air here is even okay to breathe, so we all wear our spacesuits whenever we're outside. And the weather, small, white, crystal-like flakes of white falling from the sky is unknown if it is harmful if it touches someone's skin. But the quiet peacefulness of the planet is something I come to love and whenever I am finished tasks I spend my time outside. 

"Hello, Brown, all done your tasks too?" I heard a voice coming from behind me. I turned around and seen Cyan, another one of my crewmates. Cyan is known for being the crybaby of the crew, and we were all surprised when the Commander told us that Cyan will be joining our group as a biologist. He was pretty scared of everything when we first arrived on Polus, but he seems to be getting braver by the day. This is the first time I ever seen him outside by himself.