70

"Madeline, I thought you wouldn't make it," Amancio turned to me, flashing his trademark mischievous grin

I stopped in my tracks, clenching my fists. I took a deep breath as pure white rage threatened to consume me.

"King Amancio," One of The Dark Lords handed Amancio a document, diverting his attention from me, thankfully.

"Just try to ignore him," Imogen whispered. I clenched my jaw, trying not to think of the 1,000 ways I could make Amancio suffer.

Thankfully, Amancio and I would ride in different carriages. It was the better option, for my benefit and his. I strongly doubted he'd want his eyes gauged out by his vengeful wife.

Our first stop in the tour was a place I knew too well. A place that brought tears to my eyes just at the thought.

Colgate.

I had mixed feelings about revisiting my old home. I was hopeful, hoping and praying my family would be there safe and sound. But, I was reluctant. If the news wasn't good, I didn't know how much more I could take.

The carriage ride brought back memories. I could vividly remember riding to the palace, a clueless 'Lady'. I hadn't the slightest idea what would happen in the future. I silently wished I'd protested more. If I hadn't attended The Choice, maybe all of this wouldn't be happening.

I slowly lulled into a tumultuous slumber, the sound of the horses hooves clopping against the gravel on the road echoing in my ears. Imogen sat beside me, humming a tune I could not identify. Amancio and his 'posse' followed closely behind, probably making sure I didn't hijack the carriage and escape.

WELCOME TO COLGATE

The words caused tears to prick at my eyes. They were words I had seen as I returned from Finishing School, as I returned from trips outside the viscounty.

Memories came flooding back as the carriage jostled. Imogen gripped my hand, offering me a small smile as we ventured into the viscounty.

The cobbled streets were deserted, something that was very rare in Colgate. There was almost always people scattered on the streets, greeting each other as they went about their daily lives. But Colgate looked more like a ghost town, sending a chill down my spine. Stores were boarded up, some of the windows broken in. Amancio's Guards lined the streets, rifles in hand.

"What did they do to this place?" I shook my head, disbelievingly. Doubt clouded my mind. If this was what The Dark Lords did to common people, I wondered what they'd done to the nobles? To my family...

The carriage rode on, further and further into familiar territory. Until I realised where it was headed. I couldn't believe it. The telltale gate of my family's manor was right in front of me. I was going home! But there had to be some sort of catch.