77

"What do you mean, "this is my room", Ashley told

"What do you mean, "this is my room", Ashley told...," I trailed off. Ashley. Of course.

"There aren't enough rooms in the camp. I wouldn't be surprised if she expected us to share," Carlos said, matter-of-factly. He tried and failed to keep his eyes off me. His gaze made every hair on my body stand on end.

I tried to think of something to say but I physically couldn't. I just stood there, my wet hair dripping onto the floor.

"I'll...uh, leave you to get dressed," Carlos cleared his throat awkwardly.

I couldn't fight off a small smile as Carlos left the room. I'd never seen him so frazzled. Carlos was always collected, rarely displaying emotion. But there he was, stuttering and stammering.

I quickly got dressed in the clothes Ashley had provided. The fabric was scratchy and ill-fitting but it was better than nothing.

"You can come in now!" I called, raking my fingers through my damp, dead hair.

"I'll sleep on the floor, you'll sleep on the bed," Carlos said, as he entered the room.

I rolled my eyes, "Don't be absurd. We can share the bed."

I don't know what came over me. I had never shared a bed with anyone but Caroline, who'd reminded me countless times what a horrible kicker I was. But there I was, offering to share a bed with not just any man- but Carlos. Carlos who made my heart race quicken, Carlos who made my breath catch in my throat.

Carlos' eyes met mine, raising an eyebrow, smirking. "You want to share the bed?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I felt heat rising to my cheeks.

Carlos chuckled, "I don't know, you never struck me as a girl who would willingly opt to share a bed with a male."

I rolled my eyes, sensing the joke, "It'd make no sense for you to sleep on the floor. This was your room first, after all. Besides, the floor is cold and hard and imagine the bugs and you'd wake up with your back-,"

"Madeline," Carlos interrupted, his eyes glinting in a smile. "Fine, I will share the bed with you."

***

Nighttime came quicker than expected. Dinner was mashed potatoes with green beans and gravy. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to eat. Or join the conversation, no matter the amount of times Carlos, Brennon and Ashley tried to get me to speak.

I just couldn't shake off the feeling of dread, tightening my stomach. Amancio was looking for me. I tried to convince myself that I wasn't scared of him. I knew deep down that Amancio wouldn't kill me. But what would he do to the others? To Brennon, Ashley and Allegra. To the innocent people on the camp.

To Carlos.

I felt sick. I was like a curse, drawing Amancio closer and closer to The Dark Bloods.