64

I decided that I needed to escape

I decided that I needed to escape. That night.

I didn't know if it was The Dark Lords' meeting that triggered my thoughts of escape but I discovered that I desperately needed to find a way out. I sat alone in my room, after lunch. I was much too hungry to continue my hunger strike so I devoured my meal. I sat, staring at the ceiling, desperately trying to think of an escape plan.

What about Carlos, I thought.

I would have to find some way to get to him. Hopefully I would find some way to get to the cells and break him out. I knew things didn't look good and my plan was rushed but I was determined not to spend another day in the hellhole that used to be the palace.

I planned on leaving in the night, when the palace would hopefully be less busy. That meant I had to move fast.

***

"Are you sure you don't need a doctor, Lady Madeline?" Imogen bent over me, concern painting her features.

I'm not much of an actor, but I consider my performance first class. I let out a shaky breath as Imogen put her hand on my forehead.

"You don't seem to have a temperature," Imogen noted, quizzically.

"I know," I sighed. "I just have this...horrible headache and I can't seem to sleep a wink. Is there any sleep medication you can give me?"

Imogen sighed, "I'll try and see if I can get some."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as soon as Imogen walked out of the door. My stomach twisted in anticipation as time passed. I let out another breath.

Where was Imogen?

"Lady Madeline, sorry for the wait," Imogen came in with what I guessed were the pills.

"Thank you, Imogen. It's getting pretty late, I'll just take them and go to bed," I yawned.

Imogen hesitated before dipping into a little curtsy and leaving.

As soon as she left I threw off the duvet, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I silently ran to the tea table, where my untouched cup of tea lay. My plan was slowly forming and my heart fluttered with hope. I opened the pills and crushed 3, enough to put someone instantly to sleep but not nearly enough to kill them, though the idea lingered in my mind.

I stirred the tea with the spoon and took a deep breath, silently praying my plan would work.

I flung open the door, starling Brutus. He resumed his position, his face settling into a scowl.

"What's up with you?" He snarled.

I rolled my eyes, "Here. My tea is cold and I don't want it anymore. Drink it, send it back to the kitchen- do whatever you please, I don't care."