76

My stomach grumbled, reminding me that I had not eaten in hours

"You must be starving," Carlos' facial muscles relaxed.

"Come on," Ashley nodded towards the direction we'd came from. "They should still be serving breakfast in the mess hall."

The sound of breakfast made my stomach grumble more but I knew not to get my hopes up. The Dark Bloods certainly lived a different life, not as luxurious as the life I lived back in the Aridian mainland. And I had no issue with that. I would easily give up croissants, scones and tea parties for my own freedom.

Carlos wiped the beads of sweat that were forming on his forehead and we walked back towards the camp, hand in hand. Ashley walked a few steps in front of us, waving and smiling at the people that passed by.

I hadn't realised just how populated the Dark Bloods camp actually was. People ranged from every shape, size, age, race. The only thing they all had in common was the happiness and content on their faces. They were at home.

The mess hall was a large room that looked barely stable. Holes in the ceiling probably caused by the weather had been covered with what looked like a combination of hay and tape. The mess hall was fairly empty as it was late morning. It smelled of bread, hot fresh bread.

My stomach grumbled again.

"When was the last time you ate?" Carlos looked at me from the corner of his eye as we walked towards the line.

"A scone, I believe. At the end of Amancio's royal tour in Aridia City," I replied. That was a day ago.

I stacked up my plate with buns, eggs, a sausage and some bacon. The food was awfully plain but I couldn't wish for better.

"Carlos! Come sit with us!" Brennon called, from the table where he, Allegra and Ashley sat.

***

"That's because you're evil Allegra," Brennon stole a piece of bacon from Allegra's plate.

Allegra's eyes darkened and her fists clenched. "Brennon I swear to Go-"

"Allegra," Carlos warned.

"No, let them be," Ashley silenced Carlos, smiling excitedly. "I want to see where this ends."

I watched as Brennon and Allegra bickered back and forth. Brennon was edging Allegra on, and Allegra fell for his plan, getting angrier and angrier. Although, I could tell she wasn't really angry. She seemed to be fond of Brennon. Carlos and Ashley watched, laughing as Brennon and Allegra exchanged insults.

I felt a pang of sadness in my chest as I ate. I never had any proper friends before The Choice. Fiona was dead. Amancio was...well. And then there was Carlos. I rarely saw Carlos laugh around other people and here he was, happy. It made me happy that he had found people he fit in with and could be himself around.