62

The fact that I was being watched constantly could not be ignored

The fact that I was being watched constantly could not be ignored. Everywhere I went, Brutus or the next available other robotic rebel guard follows. I was watched while I slept, monitored while I ate and followed closely everywhere I went.

My treatment, I felt, was worse than that of a prisoner. Freedom was waved in front of me and whisked away quickly like a dog and a bone. I felt helpless, with no one to talk to- as I realized Imogen couldn't be trusted. I had a countless number of questions, a list that went on and on but she constantly refused to answer them. Whenever I asked, she acted like she was being watched.

"Lady Madeline, Lady Madeline," Imogen's voice pulled me from my nightmare. I'd been having the same exact dreams each night- memories of The Choosing Ceremony- Fiona's death and Amancio's revelation- not necessarily in that order.

"What is it now?" I sighed, wiping away the tears that resided on my face after every slumber. I noticed that her wounds had healed completely. She resembled the old Imogen, but this time I knew her for what she was. One of them.

"Did you have a good night's rest?" She asked, her eyebrows raised hopefully. I could tell she was trying to rekindle some sort of friendship with me but it wasn't going to work. I was done being fooled and toyed with.

"If you think I'm ever going to forgive you for being one of them, then you're delusional. I-I don't get it? Why are you a part of them knowing what they've done? They...they killed Fiona and Isadora- they locked up Carlos and I- practically starved us," My voice broke.

Imogen looked down solemnly. "There are many things you don't understand Madeline."

"Then make me understand," I pleaded, tears streaming down my cheeks again. "Answer my questions. Where is Lucy? Where is Esme?"

Imogen blinked quickly, as if pushing away tears. "I wish I could tell you Madeline, but I honestly don't know. Besides, I'd be killed if I said anything." Imogen's eyes darted around quickly as her voice dropped to a low whisper.

"I'm here to protect you, Madeline," She whispered.

I closed my eyes, letting out a breath. "What do I have to do today?"

"Breakfast with King Amancio and his parents," Imogen winced.

I groaned, burying my face in my blankets. I would've burst into tears if I didn't feel like I'd run out of tears. I needed to escape the palace. I needed to get Carlos and escape somehow.

I didn't want to be in the same room as Amancio, talk less of seated at the same table with him and his evil parents. I still had so many questions about how they enacted their plan. Even if Barbara wasn't supposed to be in the picture, where was she? Didn't Amelia have any feelings for her daughter? Didn't Amancio for his sister?

Soon after, Imogen had me cleaned up and dressed in a light red day dress. Amancio had clearly given instructions about my wardrobe, making sure that no matter what I wore- people would be reminded of what I was- The Dark Lords' pawn.