How to Slay a Dragon

Kaden got better every day, until we began training again. Even Tansy 'trained' with us. It delighted me when she followed us and tried to emulate what we did. So, after I put Kaden through his paces, I turned my attention to Tansy. She picked up how to punch quick, and block. But she was nimble, and could dodge far better than I did at her age. We talked about it over ice cream, and she agreed that protecting others was what she wanted to do, when she could.

I feared Kaden would disapprove of me teaching his daughter how to fight, but he beamed when she showed him what she learned. He sobered after a few moments, and told her she wasn't to pick fights because she knew she'd win. That wasn't what made you strong. Strength lay in protecting those who couldn't save themselves, not picking on them for laughs. Tansy agreed, her expression solemn while they talked about the duties of an alpha. It startled me to realize Kaden intended for Tansy to replace him someday. But, once I thought about it, I understood. She was as gentle and strong as her father. It made perfect sense. However, many werewolves would protest a female taking on the mantle of alpha. Leave it to Kaden to challenge the system.

It pleased me to help him raise his daughter to question outdated and misguided laws. Between us, Tansy would take on the world, and win. So, I helped her train, but only for a little while each day. She had to play first, and enjoy living the life of a child before I let her do something so serious. And, I grinned when she got angry but never tried to strike the ones who roused her temper. She talked her anger out, instead of attacking or throwing a fit. It was amazing to witness.

A week after Kaden trained without suffering any pain, Kev returned to Riversong with eyes full of sorrow. I snorted, but greeted him with a smile and hugged my twin. Regardless of the news he carried, I loved my brother. He tried to speak and I shook my head with a mutinous expression. Kaden gave Kev permission to speak and I glared at my mate. I knew what message he brought. I didn't want to hear it.

Still, Kaden listened then told me to go although his voice broke. Tansy hugged his leg, staring at me with tears in her eyes, albeit she didn't plead for me to stay. So, my mate told our daughter I would have to leave. Not because I wanted to, but he'd have to kill my father if he wanted me to stay. Due to the gentleness he taught Tansy, she'd agree that was too much to ask. How could I love the man who killed my father? My heart ached for my mate and pup, then I looked at my twin and quirked my brow.

Kev stared for several seconds then gasped. "Kira! You can't!" He protested and I scoffed.

"Watch me," I told him with a careless shrug while rolling my shoulders. My father had another thing coming if he thought I would take this lying down. I didn't let my enraged mate break me, nor his monstrous uncle. I refused to let my father be the one who finally broke my spirit. Hell would become a summer vacation destination first.

Helpless, Kev hung his head, then sighed. "Very well. I will fetch our father. I'd ask you to reconsider, but what else can you do? He's the one who backed you into the corner, so he deserves to get bitten. Please don't do anything you'll regret," Kev pleaded and I nodded. Kaden watched us interact with an unsure expression and I grinned, rolling my shoulders again. While it would suck, this would also be fun. It pleased my wolf too, who chuffed with excitement.

It took a few hours for my father to return, and Kaden was tense during our wait. He tried to ask what I intended several times, but I refused to tell him. It would stress my mate and he'd beg me to reconsider. Not because he didn't think I could do it, but he wouldn't want me to out of fear it would break my heart. I adored his concern, but I could do this. I needed to do this, so we could mate. I refused to let my mate and pup live their lives without me. I wasn't strong enough to let them go, and I didn't care to try to find the strength I'd require.