Suffering

My knees gave out, but Kev kept me upright while I sobbed. "As if the silver bands aren't enough, the bastard put silver in the water," Zach sighed and my body stiffened. "Yes, Kira. Not only was he wounded, stabbed with a silver blade, and his neck broken, but silver rips apart his body inside him. That is why it would be merciful to end his misery. I'm not sure he'll live, or how long it will take him to heal if he does. He might be paralyzed for the rest of his life since he can't heal his neck because his body is full of poison. He can't be an alpha then, and while Kaden would give up his pack for you, I doubt his nature would allow him to be an invalid. It will destroy him."

Kev rubbed my arms after lowering me to my knees and I sobbed. "Kira, I can't make this decision. He's your mate. Even if your father refuses to let you be with him, your soul belongs with his. You have to survive the pain of his death if he dies, and you must live with knowing his soul suffers torment if he lives but doesn't heal. He might survive, and heal. I've never faced this type of poisoning before. Only a callous bastard would come up with the idea. Kaden could heal in a few days or weeks, or he could die a painful death in that time. Hell, the water likely went up his nose and his brain might suffer silver as we speak. He might survive and not remember a damn thing. By that I mean his memory would be gone. Of you, me, his pack, his father - all of it. Kaden without his memories would be different. The pain of our past shapes us into what we are and I don't know how he'd behave without his struggles," Zach explained in a kind voice. "So, Kira, you must decide. Not even Bran can choose."

"No, I can't," the man agreed and I looked at him through my tears. "Nor would I want the power to make such a life shattering decision." I didn't want it either. I wanted Kaden to sit up and laugh because he got us good. Not that he would ever go so far for a prank. No, his jokes never hurt anyone and this was agony.

"He's the strongest person I know, after you," Zach murmured. "He will fight with everything he has. I just don't know if it will be enough."

"Let him try," I whispered, with more tears escaping my eyes to join the flood soaking my cheeks. I couldn't sentence my mate to death, even if it would be the kindest mercy. I needed Kaden, and that made me a selfish, horrible person. But he made me weak. Worse, he made me want to be weak. To trust him, and let him keep me safe. I sobbed, hating myself for possibly sentencing my mate to a fate worse than death. He'd despise me and I would deserve it.

"Okay," Zach replied, his voice gentle. "Let's get him home because this place will hinder his recovery. We need to stabilize his neck first. If it moves, it might kill him. Werewolves are stronger than us mere humans, but he's suffered a lot of silver. His body might think its human."

Zach disappeared for a few minutes, coming back with a stiff collar that broke my heart when I saw it. He maneuvered it around Kaden's neck with care, then he and several enforcers moved Kaden to a stretcher. They were careful to not jostle him in the slightest and my heart ached. "Bring her, Kev. I need to see to her back, but she won't let me unless she oversees her mate," Zach ordered. Without protest, Kev got my arm around his shoulder and raised me to my feet. Once he supported my weight, he led me out of the room that broke me by breaking my mate.

I barely noticed Zach tending my wounds because my eyes were focused on Kaden. My mind was convinced he slumbered and would wake any second to ask why we looked so serious. Then he'd frown mockingly before bursting into laughter. God, my soul ached to hear him laugh. I feared when he finally woke all he would spew was hatred for me doing this to him. I made the decision to force him to try to fight his wounds and poisoning, so if his body failed, it was my fault.

A soft whimper fell from my lips and I hit my knees by his head, dying to stroke his hair but not daring to risk his life to comfort myself. Instead, I buried my face in my hands and cried. I never thought I'd be the dramatic crier who couldn't do anything but mourn reality. Still, what else could I do? I might have sentenced my mate to a life of suffering. A life he loathed with every fiber of his being because I wasn't strong enough to let him go. A soft chuckle escaped my lips when I recalled Kaden telling me he'd let me go if I found someone who made me happy. So, he was stronger than me after all.