Duel

With a smile, I waved at Honey, the wolf who adored gardening. He was quiet and withdrawn so each smile he offered felt like a victory. At first, the timid wolf flinched whenever I moved and I wondered why until I learned he'd been a lone wolf for months before this pack took him in. He appeared too young to have been kicked out, but some alphas were jerks and booted any werewolf they disliked.

Honey was unassuming and kind, but if his previous alpha was loud and obnoxious, he might have despised him. Abused him even. Some alphas got away with it if they hid it well enough. Then, when they feared they might get caught, they got rid of the evidence. Which meant a homeless wolf. Were I able to talk, I'd ask him about his past. Perhaps the reason he'd come to like me was because I couldn't. I feared he might be an omega. There wasn't a damn thing wrong with a submissive wolf other than they were the targets of cruel abuse. An omega wouldn't ask for help. They'd take it and go about their day while hoping for rescue. The problem if Honey was an omega, is if his alpha kicked him out, who replaced him?

After watching Honey tend the plants for a bit, I resumed my gentle swinging while I stared at the snow-covered countryside. Kaden wasn't kidding when he said they were in the middle of nowhere. All I saw were trees and snow. The buildings Kaden mentioned his father built must dwell on the other side of the fortress because there were no signs of them.

Once he finished, Honey sat on the wide wooden swing and sighed. I'd scooted out of the middle when he entered the garden so he knew I didn't mind if he joined me. We sat in silence for several minutes, and I even lay my head on his shoulder while staring at the endless sea of white. I used to believe snow made things pretty but now it mocked me. Still, I watched for signs of other wolves in case my father came to demand Kaden's aid in his search for me. Trina told me she bespelled Kaden so he had no scent when he snuck into my room. As soon as his arms went around me, I lost my scent as well so we couldn't be tracked. Nor did my father know who took me because of it.

"He's a good alpha," Honey whispered, pulling me from my musings. "He's fair and he doesn't damn you for being different. I understand he was cruel to you, and that's unforgivable. But, could you give him another chance?" When I furrowed my brow, he cleared his throat but his voice still sounded pained. "Life kicks this pack every chance it gets, even though they're good people. You're good for them, and wonderful for alpha Kaden. Seeing him happy, boosts the pack. I'm not saying you should forgive him, but please give him an honest chance to prove he regrets what he did? He told the pack he insisted you stay until you healed, but you're better now. Other than your wrist."

Ah. So, Kaden will let me leave if I desire? Because I thought I gave him another chance already. "I know we have no right to ask anything of you, since we let him hurt you. But I speak for the pack when I beg you to please give him a chance to prove he's not a monster," Honey pleaded. Right, because if I have the power to leave, I can go home and send my father to kill Kaden. My heart froze at the thought of the alpha who imprisoned me dying. Not just because he was my mate but I'd grown to appreciate the gentle way he ran his pack. His concern for them was genuine and ran deep.

When tears filled Honey's eyes and he looked panicked, I squeezed his arm and smiled. With a sigh of relief, the wolf slumped in the swing and threw his arm around my shoulders. "Thank you," he whispered and I snuggled closer to offer comfort. As an omega, he sensed the needs of the pack and influenced their emotions when his were strong. I lost my doubts he was an omega as soon as he claimed to speak for the pack. They put him up to it knowing I would listen and contemplate his words. Not because he was an omega, but he was quiet and shy. Tuck was too. I had my suspicions the boy might grow up to be an omega, but that wasn't why I comforted him. No one deserved to suffer in silence, pasting a smile to avoid punishment from their tormentors.