Chapter 11: The Battle of the Farmhouse

EMMA'S POV

"What's a Melting Maiden?!" I screamed, honestly scared for my life.

"A fire creature. They're about the same size as a Horkotroll, and they're made totally out of molten metal, lava, and fire. Even though they might be boys, the name is still more convenient. But putting that aside, we need to start defending. How many of them are there?" Az said, taking the initiative.

"About 20 Nightmares that are branching off to the left of the house. There's about the same number of Clattering Cadavers that are trying to flank us to the right and come around the barn. The Melting Maiden is coming right up the middle. Lord Malice and Sir Slaughter are just standing back watching," Tessa said.

"Alright, we need to move fast. Mr. Tholos, you and I will head for the Maiden. My metal and your plates can protect us...for the most part. Tessa and Jacob, go around to the left side and fend off those Nightmares. Emma and Azrael, get to the barn and take out those Cadavers," Solomon said.

Solomon raised his hand and tapped his screw-eye. A sheet of metal expanded outwards from the eye, clanking into plates and sheets of steel all over his body. Solomon went down on all fours. His snout started to grow longer and his fingers extended and grew thicker. Before we knew it, Solomon had turned into a big robotic dog the size of a mastiff or a Doberman.

"Emma, let's move. When we run, keep close to me and stay under my cloak," Az said, putting a hand lightly on my shoulder.

I nodded. Az kicked open the front door, and instantly a hail of medieval arrows flew at us from the direction of the Cadavers. Az swung his cloak, and the arrows bounced off of the piece of clothing. Az drew his sword and steped out of the door. I ran right behind him, trying as best as I could to stay behind or under his cloak.

Az and I rushed across the lawn to the barn. Arrows whistled through the air at us, but most missed or were deflected by Az's cloak. Suddenly, a huge fireball flew through the air at us from the direction of the Metal Maiden. Az ducked low and I followed his lead. The fireball flew through the air over our heads, singing a few of my hairs and sending a wave of heat rippling over us. I turned and looked at the Melting Maiden.

The creature looked like a massive woman about 10 feet tall, but with a slug or a snake's tail instead of feet. She was dripping with lava, pieces of rock, and melting metal like steel, copper, and bronze. Underneath the melting metal was a solid sheet of black metal, so it was basically a massive metal skeleton of a woman (with a long tail in place of legs) covered in lava, molten metal, and rock. She was ripping pieces of herself off and hurling them at the house. I saw Mr. Tholos and a big robotic dog that must have been Solomon darting across the lawn, dodging the Maiden's attacks.

 Az and I reached the barn relatively unharmed except for really heavy breathing. Az ripped the door open and we jumped inside. I looked out a window and saw about 20 of the Clattering Cadavers form into 4 lines of five. The front two lines clashed their shields together to make a shield wall and they put their spears in between the gaps of the shields. I knew from history class that this was an Ancient Greek formation called the phalanx.

"How are we going to get through that?" I asked him.

"Alright...the phalanx is slow and hard to maneuver. And remember what Mr. Wegman said about it? The warrior in the left back of the phalanx is always weakest. So...if you can make a distraction, I might be able to get around there, take that warrior out, and start dismantling the phalanx. They won't have their bows ready, so as long as you stay out of range of the spears, you'll be alright. Hurry now!" Az said.

I ran to the door of the barn and tore it open, rushing across the front of the barn to stand about 50 yards away from the advancing Cadavers. I started to wave my arms wildly and scream taunts. Even though they were dead, they could probably still get angry...right?