Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Chapter 20

I backed away from Carl, startling him in the process. My eyes widened at the sight of my dead sister, haunting me.

"What is it?" Carl asked, grabbing my shoulders.

"N-nothing. It's nothing." He looked deep into my eyes.

"You know you can tell me anything?" I nodded.

"Then what's wrong?" He pushed, his voice intensifying.

"Nothing." I lied, my face straight as a board. He wasn't buying it.

"Okay. Whatever you say, babe." His voice dripped in venom, and even though he called me "babe," it wasn't in a sincere way. More like sarcasm.

He brushed passed me, continuing to follow the trail. Once again I was left to follow behind him, which I absolutely hated. I try to ignore the fact that a walker could potentially come up behind me and take a chunk out of my body, but that thought always seems to seep into my mind.

Today was actually a nice day if I do say so myself. There was a gentle breeze, though the sun was out and kept us warm enough. We'd eventually need to actually gather supplies. All we had were the clothes on our back, two knifes, and a gun. All of the weapons being foreign to me considering I have no clue how to use them. So, basically, if a walker came up to me at this very moment, I wouldn't even begin to know how to defend myself. But I've been trying this new thing were I try and act tough in front of Carl so he thinks I'm not totally useless. Even though, technically, I am. But he doesn't have to know that.

"You wanna put some pep in your step? We ain't got all day, sunshine." Carl called over his shoulder.

"Maybe if you'd walk at a normal pace I'd catch up."

"What's normal to you? Cause you clearly don't get the concept of it." He snickered, glancing over his shoulder.

"Defiantly not your attitude. Considering the fact that you go through different moods like Judith used to go through diapers." Carl stopped walking, and I knew exactly why. I can't believe I just said that...

"Carl, I- I didn't mean it. I'm sorry." I could see his fists clench and his body shivered.

He spun around on his heal, about
to comment when we heard the sound of the dead. About seven of them emerged from all around, blood dripping from their snarling mouths as they approached us.

"Shit..." Carl cursed under his breath. We moved in closer until we were back to back.

"What do we do now?" I cried.

"Kill the bastards." He growled, lunging forward at one of the walkers. He stabbed it in the eye, blood splattering as he ripped the knife out of its socket.

I watched as he killed another, and another. A faint grin on his lips as he did so. He enjoyed killing them. I was so distracted by his actions that I hadn't noticed one of the walkers come up to me. The female walker reached her hands out, grabbing my shoulders. I whimpered, fiddling with my knife. I had somehow managed to trip over my own two feet, crashing to the ground with her body following. I held her back with my forearm, the weight of her body taking a tole on my small figure. I looked the creature in its pale, glossed over, yellow eyes. And in them I saw the person they once were. Literally, it's almost as if they were trapped, begging me to end it for them. And only I could do it, for I had looked into their eyes. I closed my eyes, gripping the knife tighter, and when I opened them, it's as if my body reacted to my mind. I plunged the knife into the walkers throat, driving it upwards until the tip of the knife pierced it's brain. And then, the deed was done. She was finally free, and I helped her. I could feel the corners of my mouth turn upwards, into a smirk, just as Carl's had done. Does he see it too? The person behind the eyes? Does he smile because he's freeing them? Or because of the pleasure in killing.