Quarantined

Chapter 9

"Don't worry. It'll be over before you know it." Beth smiled as she packed her bag and Judith's.

"Why are you so sure everything will be fine? You saw what happened in that cell block." Beth turns to me and sighs, putting her shirt to the side.

"We have to stay positive. It's the only hope we have left. Maybe you should have a little faith." She then continues packing her items.

"It's so easy for you to say. You have your dad and sister. I have no one." I can see a flicker of anger in her eyes, but it quickly disappears.

"There were others. Everyone," she chokes. "Everyone has lost somebody they cared for... Now, just- pack your stuff. You've got children to look after."

I mentally groan, recalling that I have duties to do attend to. "I'm gonna go ahead and get Judy. I don't know the next time I'll see you... Hopefully it's soon." Beth glances around the room, finally meeting my gaze. She gives me a tight smile and nod and exits the cell.

I retrieved the little leather book from my back pocket, running my fingers over the crevasses. A lump forms in my throat and tears start to dwell in my eyes.

Daddy, I miss you.

•••••

I trudged down the hallway filled with papers, holding back the tears that stung my eyes. I am really dreading the fact that I have to spend gosh knows how long in "quarantine."

"Ann." My head popped up, meeting a pair of blue eyes. I quickly looked back down, regretting the fact that I made eye contact.

"You'll be sharing a cell with Carl." Rick told me, giving me weird looks. He always acts awkward around me.

"Uh, hm, okay." I managed to get out. I went to walk away, but was stopped by Rick.

"Ann," he always calls me that. "Everything alright?"

"Yes Mr. Grimes." I gave him a fake smile along with a sharp nod. He gave me weary look as he walked away.

I made my way to the cell block, swerving around the wild animals, or the children, running around. It was like a circus in a nursing home. The little kids were screaming and being atrocious while the elderly were nagging them to stop.

"Anna-bell!" I mentally rolled my eyes, annoyed because that is not my name. Carl jogged up with me, with a playful expression on his face.

"Our cell is up there." He pointed to the second cell on the top floor, ushering me up the stairs.

The cell was plain and boring, unlike Beth and I's. Carl watched my every move as I walked in, scanning me up in down which made me feel uncomfortable.

I began biting my nails, darting my eyes all around the room. My eyes landed upon his, and I could feel my insides twisting. I quickly looked away, and started to tug on my hair.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He looked at me as if I were the stupidest person he's ever met. His tone was filled with attitude and disgust.

"I- uh- ju-just sitting on the bed." I awkwardly fell on the bed, making my self look worse than I probably do.

Way to make a good first impression, Anna.

"Looks like I'm rooming with a freak. Damn, and I actually thought you'd be fun." He stifled a laugh, rolling his eyes.

"I'm," my voice was super scratchy and barley audible. I cleared my throat and tried again. "I'm not a freak." I defended.

"I beg to differ." He scoffed. "Oh, and one, don't touch my stuff, and two, get off my bed."

I wish I was more confident. Because if I was, I would have so many come backs.

"O-okay." Dang, Anna.

He then left the cell, leaving me to breathe the breath I've been holding. I squeezed my eyes shut and placed my hands on my forehead.

Daddy, where are you?

My memories were getting the best of me, and before long, I was having a flashback...

"Daddy? Daddy, where are you?"

My five year old self peeked around the corner of the couch, searching for my dad. We were playing hide and seek; our favorite game.

"Da-AH!" He jumped out from behind the couch, roaring like a lion. He scared the heck out of me!

"Daddy, you scared me!" I giggled as he picked me up and placed me on his hip.

"Don't think of it as scaring you. Think of it as me protecting you from a scary monster. I roared at them to protect you." Dad was sincere and his eyes were shining brightly.

"I think you scared him away." I giggled.

"I think you're right!" He laughed along with me, his eyes wrinkling when he smiled.

He looked me in the eyes as his laughter died down. He gave me the most passionate look I've ever seen.

"I love you Anna-lee." He kissed my forehead.

"I love you too, Daddy." My little arms wrapped around his neck and I didn't dare to let go.

"I'll always protect you. No matter what it takes. I'll always be here." His voice cracked, and he ran his fingers through my hair.

But being my five year old self, I wasn't into all that mooshy gooshy stuff.

"Tag! You're it!" I giggled, and ran as he chased me.

•••••

Dinner consisted of dry cereal and water. It wasn't the best but at least it's something. I'm currently in my cell along with Carl, praying he doesn't start a conversation.

I wrote in my journal about all that's happened today; like I do everyday. I also keep track of the date. It's September 5th, 2014.

"What's that?" Carl asked.

"Just- uh- my journal." I said as I waved it around in the air.

He sighed deeply, looking at me with an annoyed expression. "You don't have to be nervous around me."

I fiddled with my nails, avoiding his question.

"Anna-bell." He said sternly.

"That's not my name." I mumbled.

"What?"

"I said that's not my name." I said slightly louder.

"What the hell are you-"

"I said that's not my name. It's Anna-lee; not bell."

"Awe, look who's growing a pair of balls. Well, one at least." He smirked. "Last name?" He added.

"Doesn't matter." I looked down at the brown leather book, praying for this to end.

"Why? You don't like your family?"

"I don't have one... Anymore."

"What happened?" He acted as if he were truly interested, and, maybe he was, but I wasn't ready to open up to anyone.

"The world changed. That's what happened." And that was the end of the conversation.