Present

Chapter 16

It was all a dream. There was no man, no scary room, no ropes, cuts. No kiss...

Just a crazy dream that left me frightened and slightly disappointed. I thought that, for once, I was brave.
I thought that I had gotten over my fear of, well fear. Standing up to the man with that knife in my hand, even though I hadn't killed him or injured him, I felt powerful.

I now, in the present, lie here on the floor. I remember what happened between me and Carl; the fight. I wish we could get a long. Maybe even become friends. Getting to know him would be nice, but I don't think he's the type to open up.

And I'm not either.

Carl came clomping down the stairs, his boots thumping against the hardwood floor.

"Morning." I smiled shyly, as he kept walking. No acknowledgement.

I sighed and stood up from the floor. I leaned against the door frame of the kitchen, watching Carl as he stood leaning on the kitchen sink, gazing out the window. It was bright outside, the total opposite of my dream.

"We need food." Carl spoke. "I'm going to make a run. Check the other houses and see what they've got." He grabbed a sack and headed for the door.

"Wait!" I called.

"I wanna come with you." I said boldly, my chin up.

"You? Come with me?" He chuckled. "To do what? Hide behind me every time a bush rattles?" His voice became stern. "How bout you just stay here-"

"No!" I shouted, clenching my teeth. "I want to go." I balled my fists, and Carl noticed.

"Look, I don't know why, nor do I care why you want to come, but stay out of my way." He went to turn around but stopped, pulling an object out of his pocket.

"Here," he shoved a knife in my hands. "Take this. Learn some damn self defense why don't you."

I looked down at the small pocket knife and wrapped my dainty fingers around it. I took a deep breath and looked up at Carl.

"You ready?" He asked.

"Yeah. I think I am." I smirked, grabbing a backpack and following him out of the house.

We walked down the abandoned street, all was quiet, yet it was a fairly beautiful day.

"It's pretty outside." I smiled. Carl kept his focus on the road ahead of him, and he seemed to be deep in thought.

I took a leap of faith, literally, and jump in front of him, making him come to a halt.

"What the he-"

"I came with you because I wanted to get out of that house, and at least try to pretend that what happened the other day didn't happen. It obviously did but I don't want to think about it. So you're gonna have a better attitude or-"

"Or what?"

He stared down at me, his face so very close to mine.

"I'll- I'll-"

"You'll what?" He moved closer. For a slight second, I could've sworn he glanced at my lips. I looked at his too, and they were parted slightly and pale. Very pale. I met his eyes again and stood up on my toes, meeting his level.

"I'll kill you."

Silence.

He finally backed away in a fit of laughter, falling to his butt. I began to laugh as well, finding it harder and harder to breathe. I grabbed my stomach and bent over. Carl's eyes grew wide, and I knew what he saw when I felt the creatures cold fingers roughly grab my shoulders.

I felt the walkers teeth sink into the straps of my backpack, and I cringed. That could've been my shoulder. I could've been dead.

Carl stabbed the walker and I dropped to my knees. He did as well, grabbing my face and turning it to his.

"Oh God, I saw him bite you. Oh God, oh-" he looked at my back pack strap which had teeth marks in it. He had tears coming from his eyes, and he looked at me carefully.

I was shaking and scared and twisted with feelings.

"I don't wanna be alone." Carl choked, finally breaking down.

"I don't wanna be alone. I'm scared." He let go of my face and curled into a ball, sobbing. "I'm scared." He repeated.

I slowly put a hand on his back and rubbed it. I was still in shock of the events that had just occurred, but I was more focussed on the crying boy before me. Because he had just proved to me that he was still human and very much boy. He showed me that he has feelings, compassion, fear.

Fear.

And whereas I show my fearfulness, he hides his. But if you look deep past the blood and gore and tough shell, he's just a boy. A scared, scared boy.

•••••

We decided just to go back to the house, mostly because we were both too emotional to stay on alert. Carl is really depressed about the whole situation, but I think overall he misses his dad and Judith.

I do too though, so I know exactly how he feels.

"Are you okay?" I questioned him. He was sitting with his elbows propped up on his knees, his head hanging between them while leaving against the couch.

"I'll take that as a no."

I looked upon him as if he were a beautiful piece of art. I felt compassion for him, I really did. I hesitantly reached over and lifted his sheriffs hat. He peeked up at me, his eyes puffy and watery. I removed the hat fully and set it on the couch.

"I'm scared too ya know."

"I know." He said, his voicing cracking at the end.

"I thought... I thought I'd be okay on my own. That I could take care of myself. But when that walker bit you I just... I realized a lot of things. How afraid I was of being alone. It may seem that I'm always pushing you away because it seems that everyone I get close to dies. And you know I've been getting closer to you, and I-I just can't get you out of my head. It's so frustrating. And in the moment that Walker bit you, I-I realized... How much I actually kind of like you."

I blinked slowly, all of what he said processing. It's the most he's said in one sentence. I've learned that there are more layers to him, I just haven't gotten to the core.

"I like you too. We're becoming good friends." I smiled.

"No, I mean- nevermind." He sighed, and I was confused.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"Nothing. It's not important."

"Tell me." I said, getting annoyed.

"No it-"

"Tell me dammit! You're pissing me off and I've already had a stressful day, and to make matters worse, you're avoiding your problems like you always do! You hold stuff in and let it out when your angry!" I sat there for a moment before I realized what I'd just done.

I covered my hands over my mouth, my eyes wide in shock. Carl chuckled, a smirk playing at the corner of his lips.

"You just cursed."

I looked down, ashamed at my mouth and thoughts. Momma would've been disappointed in me. I sighed, fumbling with my fingers.

"Hey." I looked up at Carl with a questioning look, waiting for him to finish what he was saying.

"I like you, but, not in the same way you like me."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, I think I kind of find you... Pretty."

I looked into his eyes, mine probably wide and in shock. Carl Grimes likes me. Like likes me...

"Do you think you maybe could like me back?"

I looked away from him, deep in thought.

Do I like Carl Grimes?

"Well..."