Dark Days

Chapter 14

Waking up is the hardest part of the day. It takes you away from your escape, your freedom. Back to reality, and reality, if you asks me, is pretty sucky.

I sat up from my previous position which was on the floor. Guess I fell asleep there last night. I looked out the window, only to see dark clouds that hung low to the ground, waiting to release the water they've built up.

It was silent throughout the house, minus the buzzing of the wind outside. I rose to my feet, grabbing onto the wall for support.

"Carl." I called softly. "Are you awake?" I peaked around the corner into the kitchen, and he wasn't there.

I tip-toed up the stairs, the boards making a creaking noise.

"Carl." I hissed, slightly above a whisper. I walked passed one of the bedrooms. It was a girl's room, a young girl. Most likely a toddler judging from the toys and clothes.

The crib had carvings of delicate flowers, and the toys were scattered across the room. There were pictures on the walls, one being of the child. She had gorgeous blue eyes, and long eye lashes with blonde hair. I smiled at the picture.

I looked across the room, exhaling deeply. Something caught my eye. Something red along these pure, white walls. I lingered over to the other side of the room, my whole body shaking as I did.

Blood was splattered on the wall, and under the crib was a small foot that was beginning to rot.

Beginning.

This was recent, maybe a week ago.

I glanced in the crib, and I just about fell out of my skin. The stuffed animals' heads were ripped off, and in the corner of the bed was a note.

If you'd like to keep your head, I suggest you leave. If you choose to stay... Well, just look in the closet and see what will happen.

My breath hitched, and I felt light headed. I turned around, very slowly, and walked to the closet. I twisted the crystal shaped handle, opening it ever so slightly.

I heard the door to the bedroom open, and I knew in that moment, something was about to go down.

My breath caught in my throat, and I choked.

"Turn around, little girl." A deep, defiantly not feminine voice demanded.

I turned, keeping my gaze on the floor.

"Look at me."

I shook my head rapidly back and forth, whimpering.

"Now, before I slit his neck." My head shot up, my eyes meeting Carl's frightened blue ones. Tears poured from his eyes, and he had a gash on the right side of his forehead.

"Come with me. Now, you listen, and he stays alive... For now. You disobey my commands, he dies, and you're tortured." The man was tall, with long, black, greasy hair that hung in his eyes. He had a beard, which was coated in blood. His jeans were ripped up, along with his brown shirt and red and black flannel.

He was very intimidating. He made my dad look like an angel.

"Go to the kitchen."

I did as told, Carl and the man following behind me every step. Once I arrived at in the door way of the kitchen, he spoke again.

"Get a knife."

"I don't know-"

"The drawer!" He roared, causing me to jump.

I opened the draw, grabbing onto the handle of the knife. It was large and sharp and could do damage easily.

"Now what?" My voice sounded petite, and very scared.

He began to laugh, and not just chuckles, but howling laughs. He threw Carl to the ground, and he landed face first considering his hands were tied behind his back. Carl groaned in pain, arching his back.

The man dropped to his knees, and turned Carl onto his back. He gripped his hair and pulled, hard. Carl screamed loudly out in pain.

"Stop it!" I screeched. "I'll do what you want, just please don't hurt him."

The man looked at me and smiled, chuckling deeply.

"Com'ere." I did as told, squatting down.

"You're gonna play with him. Cut em' up a little."

"No I can't-"

"It's just a damned game! It's fun!" The man's face was beat red, and his eyes and voice were enraged with anger.

"Cut him!"

"No!" I cried. He ripped the knife from my hands and pushed me backwards. My head hit the edge of the counter, and I screamed. Carl screamed. The lightening stroke down, the thunder roaring throughout the sky.

We both let out ear curdling yells in hopes that someone would come for us. I felt the back of my head, blood coating my hand, and everything turning fuzzy. My eyes began to roll to the back of my head, and my ability to stay awake was fading. The last thing I remember was the man hovering over me, and then, I was out.