Calm Before the Storm

Chapter 30

"You're turn." Mark giggled, his eyes glimmering in the moon light.

"I just went!" I laughed, trying to keep quiet so no one would hear.

"Okay, okay... Never have I ever... Killed a walker."

I put one finger down, eight remaining up. Mark had seven fingers up.

"Looks like you don't know how to get your hands dirty." I winked, and he reacted as a shocked, teenage girl who's daddy just told her she couldn't borrow the car.

"As a matter of fact I used to hunt, so, yes, my hands have been very dirty before." We both exchanged chuckles.

"Okay, um..." I bit my lip. "Never have I ever... Gotten drunk." And now Mark's down to six fingers. I rolled my eyes, smiling.

"Never have I ever... Done the dirty." I starred at him oddly for a moment. I was sure that he had before. Or maybe I'm just a really bad judge of character.

"I'm just kidding." He chuckled deeply, his Adam's apple moving up and down.

"Oh," my cheeks began to burn red.

"Have you?" He asked.

"Have I?"

"I don't know? Have you?" He squinted his eyebrows, leaning forward.

"Have I what?" I grew nervous as the conversation escalated.

"Have you had sex, Anna?" His voice wasn't very soft anymore, and he sounded annoyed. "I'm sorry. I-"

"No, no it's fine. I know I can be hard to get through to sometimes... Um, no. I have not 'done the dirty'." I smiled innocently, swallowing a lump in my throat.

"Oh." Mark sighed, clearing his throat. "It's not that great. You aren't missing out." I starred at him once more.

"I'm kidding." We both let out small chuckles, shaking our heads.

"While that conversation was so very interesting, I think it's time to find a new topic." I suggested. "How's you and Molly?"

"Um... We're-we're good. Great actually. Things are-" he swallowed, smiling, but not his usual smile. He looked upset.

"What about you and sherif boy?"

I looked up into the sky, seeing the stars shining. I smiled. I smiled because I knew that those stars meant he was still there. Carl was still there for me and that was all I needed. Almost...

"Good... I guess... I think." I chewed on my lower lip, refusing to make eye contact.

"I thought you two were a couple when we first met."

"We were. A long time ago." Tears began brimming my eyes, but I kept my gaze focused to the ground so Mark couldn't see.

"What happen?" Mark leaned forward, as if what I had to say was as interesting as it seems.

"I messed up. I made a mistake."

"Very descriptive I see." Mark laughed. I just gave him a tight smile.

"I'm sorry," I sighed. "I thought leaving was best... It was so stupid," I stifled a laugh. "When I came back, he wasn't the same anymore. And neither was I... He didn't want me back, and as much as it hurt, I had to accept that. I had to accept the fact that he had moved on even if I didn't yet." Stray tears rolled down my cheeks, dripping off my chin.

"Hey, hey, hey... Shhh." Mark wiped the tears from my eyes, caressing my cheek.

"And the worst part of it all is that, even though he is the most repulsive, conniving, conceited, monster in the world... I'm still head over heals, unconditionally, and completely in love with him."