Mark and Molly

Chapter 27

The bright sun peeked thru the window of the two story house, blinding me as I try and awaken. I stretch my tired muscles, rubbing my eyes weakly. I groaned, rolling out of bed. I had to catch myself because my legs were weak and I nearly fell. I trudged over to the window, opening the curtains and looking out at the town. There were children playing on the small playground, not a care in the world as they ran and screamed. I sighed backing away from the window, deciding to head downstairs for breakfast.

I opened the door to Beth and I's room, heading down the hallway and stairs. Once I was downstairs I took a left, turning into the kitchen. I could smell the grease from the bacon and hear the sizzling eggs. It all seemed so surreal. The group was sitting around a table talking and laughing, Carol and Beth were cooking. Rick looked up from his conversation with Michonne, which I had noticed she had a cast on her arm and a bandaid on her eyebrow. He stopped and stared at me for a moment, the others following his actions. I grew uncomfortable, something I hadn't felt in over a year. I shifted my weight to either leg, swaying my hips side to side and looking everywhere but into their eyes. Suddenly, I felt someone squeeze between me and the door. All eyes drew towards him now; Carl Grimes. He turned his head slightly, making brief eye contact with me, but turned away.

"Continue on." He snapped, grabbing a plate. They did as he said, the awkward situation finally being broken. Beth gave me a look from across the room, ushering me to follow her.

We went into the living room, Beth shutting the door behind me.

"What was that?" She said in a hushed tone.

"What are you talking about?" I whispered.

"You and Carl. Ya'll were all awkward and distant. You're back now! Shouldn't you two be together?"

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "Just because I'm back doesn't mean that we're automatically gonna reconnect. We've both changed. And plus he has an excuse to be pissed with me. I mean I left him after he told me he loved me. And I didn't say it back." Beth's face softened. She bit her lip, thinking.

"Well now you can tell him that you love him." Beth smirked satisfyingly.

"But Beth," I licked my lips, glancing out the window at the children playing. "I... I don't love Carl anymore." Beth's mouth parted, her arms falling to her sides.

"I mean, I would like to but it's just been so long. And Carl doesn't want to be with me, and as much as I want to be with him, I can't. It's truly time to move on with our lives. Our relationship is toxic." I gave her an uneasy smile, walking back into the kitchen. I grabbed a plate, beginning to choose what I desired for breakfast. As I sat down at the table, Beth walked back in. She looked at me and then Carl, laughed sarcastically and went to grab a plate.

A subtle knock sounded at the door, Rick and Daryl getting up. Rick peeked out the peep hole and then opened the door slowly.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Hi." A woman said, practically inviting herself in. "My name is Tammy. I just came to welcome you all to Jefferson. We've heard a lot about you." She smiled, folding her hands together.

"Thank you." Rick went to shut the door, but she blocked it from closing by putting her hand up.

"Oh! I forgot to mention! There are two others teens here about two houses down from yours. I figured Carl and Anna could make friends with them."

"I'm sure they will. Thank you now." Tammy tried saying something else, but Rick cut her off by shutting the door.

"Two other teens?" Carol asked.