Now's Not Then: Part 2

Chapter 36

I was raised to believe that things happen for a reason. Even if they don't work out to your benefit. People are put into your life to help add content to your story. And once they're done with a certain chapter of your life, they leave. However, some books have reoccurring characters.

Previously...

I froze in place when I heard a gun being cocked.

It's okay, maybe they see a walker, I thought to myself. Yeah but they're smart enough not to kill it with a gun.

I squatted down, taking my gun out. I flipped the switch off of safety, leaning against the isle. A loud thud was heard a few feet away, and a can rolled past my isle. My breath hitched as I heard footsteps followed by unfamiliar voices. That was when I realized something. We're not alone.

The foots step grew louder, and they were coming towards me. I was just about to cock my gun when I heard a gun shot on the other side of the store. The footsteps then sprinted in the other direction.

"Who's in here?" A voice called out. I presume it was Robert.

I stood up from my spot, cocking my gun. I edged towards the end of the isle, peeking my head around the corner. There was a man who was also doing the same thing. He wore a leather jacket and plain blue jeans with black boots. His hair was also very dark, and from the looks of him, he looked about 5'11. Some men started yelling across the store, so he began to move, as well as I. I followed after him, raising my gun. He took a sharp right down an isle. And I sped walked to catch up. Once I had gotten to the isle, the man was no longer there. I sprinted down the isle, quickly reaching the end. However, the man had disappeared.

"Dammit." I muttered to myself. I went to continue on my search when I was roughly jerked back. A hand found its way over my mouth, and the other holding both my arms down. My gun, somehow, had been taken from me during the struggle. It was the man. I could tell by the texture of his jacket; it was leather. It was hard to see what he looked like, but judging by his strength, he had to be somewhat young.

"Don't try and fight. You won't win."  His voice was deep and somewhat playful. At least that's how it sounded to me. But then again I was also in a state of fear. My back was shoved up against empty isles of dust and dead rats, and my only chances of getting out was if Chief or Robert happen to come around the corner.

Quit being a coward, I told myself. You're the leader.

"I'm the leader." I mumbled to myself. I brought up my knee, hitting him where the sun doesn't shine. He crouched in pain, holding himself while trying to retrieve his gun. I hit him in the back of the head with the end of my flashlight, and he dropped to his knees. I turn the flashlight on, but he slapped it out of my hands before I could see his face. He kicked my feet out from under me, and crawled on top of me. His hands found their way around my neck, and he began to squeeze. I wiggled underneath him, trashing around, trying someway to break free. I looked towards the flashlight, following where the light shone.

The gun.

I reached for it, and the man saw that so he went for it as well. I elbowed him in the face, and I could hear the blood splatter come from his mouth and nose. I crawled towards the gun, and once my hands were on it, I turned on my back, aiming for the man. A bright light shone in my face, and that's when I saw that the man had grabbed my flashlight as well as another gun. I stood up slowly, my gun still pointing in his direction.

"You put up a good fight princess, but this is where you end." The man's voice was deep and confident. He was cocky, and cocky gets you killed.

"We'll see about that." I got a good grip on the isle, pulling it down onto the man.