No Hope

Chapter 10

Two days, five hours, thirty-six minutes; trapped in this cell block. Not to mention with the most annoying person on earth. I haven't spoken to Beth or Hershel in days, and haven't heard anything new about the infection. Only that it hasn't been cured yet.

It sucks because, finally, I've found a way to cope with the apocalypse, but I feel as if it were all a joke. Everything.

"Can you actually do something productive other than write in that stupid journal?" Carl spat, tossing his gun on the bed.

"Like what? Cure the disease? What is there other to do than sit on our hands all day? Because if there's something please do tell me." As you can see, I've learned to speak out a bit more.

"How about get those animals out there to shut the hell up." He nodded his head towards the sound outside of the cell, the sound of children running up and down the stairs.

"They're just kids, Carl."

"So, what? They need to grow up." He rolled his eyes, picking up a tennis ball and throwing it on the wall.

"Don't you remember what it's like to be a kid?" By this point I was getting aggravated. Didn't he understand that it's in their nature to goof off and have fun?

"No." Was all he responded with.

"No? What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Just forget it." He shot at me, resuming to play with the tennis ball.

I focused on the boy in front of me, studying his broad facial features. His face was stern, but his eyes were twisted with sadness. If you looked closely enough, you could almost see the pain in his heart.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"For what?" He mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"Upsetting you." I told him sincerely.

"Nothing," he scoffed, "upsets me. No one has time to get upset, and if you do then you're just as useless as a gun without bullets."

"You know what-"

"What?" He interrupted.

"You're- you... You just..." I sighed, giving up on my attempt to stand up for myself.

"That's what I thought." He stifled a laugh, picking up his sheriffs hat and leaving the room.

••••••

A lot happened not too long ago. The fences broke and the walkers got in. Carl and his dad took them out though.

Also, the sickness killed about ten more people. Thankfully, Daryl and the others got back just in time with the meds.

I'm so happy though because I finally get to get out of here and see Beth and Hershel and Karen.

I packed my bags in a hurry, a smile plastered on my face as I did. Once I was packed, I raced out of the cell, bumping into Carl on the way out.

"Watch it." He grumbled.

I ran down the stairs and directly out of the cell block. I spotted Tyresse, Karen's boyfriend, over by Rick and Daryl. I smiled widely and ran up to him.

"Hey! Do you know where Karen is?" He looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. He then looked over to Rick and Daryl whose heads were both down.

My gosh.

"Tyresse?" My voice cracked horribly as the dreaded thought flooded my mind.

"N-no. She c-can't be dead." I breathed, laughing sarcastically. "She's not- she's not dead... Tell me she's not dead!"

Tyresse shook his head, and that's when the tears flew from my eyes.

"You're lying!" I screamed, sobbing hysterically. It felt as if I'd been shot in the chest, dead center in my heart. There was a loud buzzing sound throughout the air that made my brain quiver in pain.

It was late at night, everyone was getting ready for bed, but not me. They tried getting me to come inside but I refused. Karen was dead and I was uninformed.

I think the worst part was that now I have no one to talk to. And not just talk to about daily events, but talk to about my dad; my life.

Karen took everything with her. My secrets, feelings, thoughts, and most importantly my heart. I don't know what I'll do without her or how I'll ever be able to function again. I know one thing is for sure though.

Don't get attached again.

••••••••••••••

Pretty short chapter, I know. BUT I'm speeding through because after the second war with the governor, I'll be done following the storyline, and my gosh this book is gonna be hella amazing 💁 updates with hopefully be coming more frequently now!