CHAPTER 31

“Do you still love her?” Chris asked.

“Emette!” Rishi called out after catching up to her target.

She had never run like that since she stopped playing tennis and it felt so good. But that’s really not her aim. She has to talk to Emette and help him lessen the load on his shoulders.

Emette fought over his body the moment he turned around. Seeing Rishi, all grown-up and sweating in front of him, made something kicked in. The scene reminded him on that day he first kissed her. She had a bad fever when she came late to school. She was sweating because of running and red in catching her breath. Just like she is right now.

“What is it?” Emette asked.

Now that he’d asked, what was her question again?

“I… ugh, well…” Rishi panicked. She’s stumbling over her own words. She was blushing. “I… err…”

Emette tried to hold his laughter.

She blushed more when she noticed he was holding his mouth and struggling not to laugh. Both her eyes and voice turned sharp. “Don’t laugh!”

“I… I’m sorry.” Emette said between giggles. “You looked too much in panic there and…” He wasn’t able to hold it. He laughed. It was the first time to see her called for him and couldn’t even bring her question in. She was even in a panic and her face was red. The sight was so refreshing ever since he entered Arch.

No – it was ever since he left her, broken and crying.

The thought pained him once again, stopping his laughter, turning his face into a frown. Always, his thoughts would return to that day when he left her side. How bad of a man he must have been through her eyes. He turned to look at her eyes and forced a smile. “So what is it?”

Instead of fury, Rishi felt more embarrassed. But his sudden stop of laughing made her even more curious about his load. ‘What’s bugging him? What is he thinking?’ Her mind asked in circles.

“I’ll walk with you.” She said after finding the good words to use.

“No need. I won’t faint. You’re done with work, right? Use that time to mingle with the others.”

“I told you, it’s a pain.”

“Don’t be like that. Engr. Tripple has a liking to you and so does the other members. You’ll do fine with them.” Emette faced the glass wall that separates them from the outside. Even if Arch is a science-based center, they maintain their nature despite having a lot of buildings – which was something so impressive for him since he entered the facility.

Rishi stared at Emette’s profile. His eyes look heavy. ‘Are you sleeping fine? Are you eating well? Hey, Emette, what kind of things did your eyes see when we were apart?’ She wanted to ask a lot of questions but none of them left her mouth. Instead…

“I’m not like you, Emette.” She started that gotten his head to turn to her again. “I can’t mingle with them. I can’t talk their talk like you can. I’m not like you.” She switched her gaze from him to the floor. “I can never be like you.”

Back then, Rishi wanted to be in the world where Emette was. When she learned that he’s good in tennis, she also did her all to be the best player too. If he tops his grade during college, she maintained her spot as well. He was a teacher that everyone looked up to and she wanted to take Education after she graduates. But fate told her she can’t stand on the same ground as he can. She couldn’t even do anything when he left. She couldn’t even shout his name, ask him not to leave her, ask him to run away with her. She couldn’t even stay by his side.