CHAPTER 11

“How about you, Rishi – was it? What do you plan to do after graduation?” - Marcel

“I heard from Emette that he was with you ‘til morning.” It was the first topic that Marcel brought to her just when she offered the visitor a seat at the living room.

With such great timing, the house helper came out with water and juice on tray with finger cookies to serve. As expected of the household, even the inner side looks fabulous. It was almost as if everything that was bought for the inside were totally made for this house alone. Were all of these customized? But rather than thinking about small stuff, she returned her attention to the question.

“I’m sorry. I should have just gone home on my own instead.” Rishi said, guilty.

“Don’t be, honey. It was just proper for a man to be like that. The rain was unpredictable.”

Rishi’s heart started to feel heavy to the thought that she let Marcel’s son to stick around and even worse – make love with him.

“Are you one of Emette’s students?” Marcel asked while placing some snacks over Rishi’s part of the tray and handed them in front of her.

“Yes. He’s our homeroom teacher this year. He’s been really good to us and teaches well too.”

Which is true. He’s kind to all of his students and that he’s really good at teaching. Chemistry is a really hard subject to take already so how much more than teaching it? It just shows how natural he is in his job.

“That’s good to hear. I was actually shocked to hear when he said he’d be a teacher. I was pretty sure he’d precede Medicine and take over my job since he gives a lot of interest on the field whenever he visits me at the hospital when I needed to work overtime.”

More guilt gathered in her heart since she knows the reason why he decided to be a teacher. And that reason is simply her.

“But to hear he’s doing fine, I’m relieved.” Marcel added that made the girl feel better.

“Um, I know this is a little sudden but, may I know if you ever wanted your son to precede Medicine?” Rishi was able to ask. She hesitated, of course. It is not like she has the right to even ask when she only met Marcel just now.

“Well, if he did, his future is already secured, for sure. I mean, he takes studies and tennis seriously to not fail in both. So I guess if he did take Medicine, there will really be no challenge for him. But a teacher is a different story, isn’t it? I mean, he has to make his own teaching plans, tend to every student if there’s any problem and help them solve them and all that… You can’t do those just by reading books. So I guess that it’s a good challenge for him.” Marcel, surprisingly explained what she felt about her son.

Hearing her answer made Rishi feel at ease. Marcel is such a fine woman. She could tell where Emette’s kindness and gentleness came from.

“How about you, Rishi – was it? What do you plan to do after graduation?”

Surprise to the girl, it was a question that was never asked to her before today. No one actually dared. Not even her parents. So the answer to the question is also something she doesn’t know. “I’m still not sure.” She could only bow her head and stare at the cookies on her small tray. “I’ve not really thought about it.”

Rishi concentrates on studies and tennis so much that thinking what to do after graduation is something she haven’t done or had given a single thought of. But now that she was asked about it, her mind started to run.

“But you do seem young so I guess you can take your time.” Marcel stopped her thoughts when she noticed the girl was already deep in thought.

“I guess so.” Rishi said with a sly smile towards the woman’s direction.

Yes, she still has two more years to think about it. But even so, a single question can make her realize she’s been into studying and tennis so much. Come to think of it, aside from club members, she doesn’t have any other friends at all.

“Can I ask something, Rishi?”

Her train of thought paused the moment another question was fed to her. “Y-yes?”

“What are you dreaming to become in the future?”

Again, another question that she doesn't have any answers. Another question that she hasn't thought of, that she didn't expect to be asked of.

“I haven’t really thought that far.” Rishi could only answer to Marcel’s question. She must have looked stupid for not even thinking about her dreams. Or her life in general.

“I see.” Marcel smiled when she saw how innocent her mind still is. “Back then, I really wanted to be a professional pianist.” The woman started after a sip out of her juice and bites. She manages to get Rishi’s full attention and it gave her the signal to continue. “I was taking piano lessons since I was four years old and I came to like the piano. I was even praised by how good I was. So I thought I could go for it. But in the end, I wasn’t really made for music. Sure, I could play well but I couldn’t read the score right, I can’t understand the composers or how music really became a life for people. I was only good at playing – that was all.

“But one day, during one of the competitions, an accident happened. The stage’s props collapsed over and it became something big. Everyone told me to escape immediately but I wasn’t able to leave my friend behind so I went in, despite their warning that I might scrape my fingers – the life of every pianist. But you see, at that time, my concentration was just to save my friend. So I ended up helping with the first aid then got praised by one of the audiences that helped who was actually a nurse. That’s where my second dream was born. I guess my quick hands became useful in saving lives than music.” Marcel smiled slyly, knowing how funny it was and how childish she had been when she was young.

There was a rather long pause that made Rishi think. Marcel didn’t mean to become a surgeon in the first place but ended up being successful in the field. It wasn’t her first dream but it became her dream and it turned into reality. This side made her to admire Marcel even more.

“What I’m trying to say is… There’s really nothing wrong on dreaming the wrong dream. Maybe that wrong dream will lead you to the right dream. So for now, anything you’d like to do, just do them.”

Marcel must have been the first person that had talked to Rishi something about future plans. Things she didn't think of were given light inside her head. Because of Marcel's words, she obtained a new subject to think about aside from studies, tennis and Emette. She's so glad she was invited today.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

It seems Emette's mother is a fine woman! Does that mean she'll agree to what Emette and Rishi has between them?