I mustered the last bit of strength in my bones and sat up.

"I will not go on any Royal Tour. Amancio can go to hell, where he belongs. Now GET OUT!" I yelled, frightening Imogen.

She stared at me as she walked towards the door, her eyes wide in fear and shock.

As soon as she was gone, I made my way to my mirror. I knew she was exaggerating. I knew I didn't look as bad as she claimed.

Until I saw my reflection. The girl staring back at me looked nothing like myself. This girl was pale and haggard, dark circles under her lifeless eyes. Her hair hung limp around her now bony shoulders. Her lips were dry and cracked, permanently fixed in a straight line. One could compare the girl in the mirror to a ghost or rather, a zombie.

But I couldn't blame myself. I had no motivation at all to do anything productive. I felt like I had no zeal to survive. If I wasn't going to ever see Carlos again, then what was the point?

And then there was Amancio.

Just thinking about him made me want to explode. How could he possibly be so cruel to kill his best friend, someone he'd known for roughly 20 years? And he still had the audacity to request my presence on the stupid Royal Tour. I felt utterly stupid. He had forced me to marry him and then broken his end of the deal.

I would make sure he payed for it. I wasn't going to let him off easy.

And I definitely was not going on his Royal Tour.

***

It was the day of the Royal Tour and despite my protests and yells and screams, Amancio did not relent. He said, and I quote- "Even if I have to drag you into the carriage, Madeline- I will." I was stubborn but I liked to think I wasn't stupid. There was no arguing with Amancio, and his decision to force me to go on the Royal Tour made me hate him more than I thought humanly possible.

Any ounce of affection or respect I had for him was gone, replaced with a burning hatred. I didn't even know how I was going to stand being in close proximity with him, without tearing his skin off.

"Your suitcases are packed and ready, Lady Madeline," Imogen dipped her head.

"How long is this tour?" I asked, nonchalantly as I took a bite of the croissant on my plate. Thankfully, my appetite had returned and would stay, as long as I kept any thoughts of Carlos' demise and my impending doom at the back of my head.

"The Royal Tour is an Aridian tradition. After every Royal Wedding and/or Coronation, the Royal Couple goes on a tour of 5 Aridian counties and ends the tour in Aridia City. The tour usually lasts about a week," Imogen explained. 

"Great," I muttered. "One week of torture." 

 I knew the Royal Tour was much more than just a celebration of Amancio and I's union. I knew there was still unrest and resistance in Aridia and Amancio wanted to show the citizens he was King and instill fear in their hearts. I knew the remaining Aridian citizens had doubts about the marriage, and I couldn't imagine the types of rumours they would come up with. 

Despite my seemingly calm disposition, I was a raging inferno on the inside. I dreaded seeing Amancio again but at the same time, I wanted to see him just so I could hurt him. I hated him on a scale I didn't know possible. All I wanted to do was kill him. Kill all of them. 

"Lady Madeline," Imogen interrupted my dark thoughts. "Are you ready?" 

I looked in the mirror once again, pulling my coat tighter against my frame. 

"Yes, I'm ready." 

*sighs as she hits the publish button* 

OK, last chapter for a while- but I promise it won't be a long time. I've dedicated the rest of today for writing and I'll hopefully have some new chapters up soon. 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Also, please stay safe. 

xoxo, 

-Dawn