Chapter 16: Family?

We finally got to Daytona at about 6:30 in the morning. Set up was coming to a close and drivers were scattered around as the sun came up. Connor, Chase, and I walked out of the hauler and down to pit lane. Chase went back to his hauler to see his parents and get dressed. Connor and I were walking around and saw Jeff Gordon who was a rookie when dad was around. He knew how hard it was for us to come back to Daytona. He pulled us in for a hug.

"I don't know how you guys feel but we are all here for you guys." Jeff said heading to a meeting.

Connor and I headed to the plaza for some food while everyone else was a driver meeting. Connor got a hot dog and I got some chicken strips. We sat at a table and ate.

"So what's the schedule?" Connor asked.

"Well we have interviews and stuff this week and then Saturday and Sunday are like any other day." I said scrolling through my phone. I got a text from my aunt.

"Hey Hunter. I know you guys are in town. We have tickets for the race and wanted to see you. We haven't seen you since the funeral. Just let me know."

"Who is that?" Connor said trying to look at my phone.

"Aunt Brooke. Her and Uncle Mike and the kids are coming to the races this weekend. She wants to see us." I said locking my phone and laying it face down on the table.

"I don't get it. They weren't involved before mom died. They never wanted to communicate with us. Now they want to see is when we are in town." Connor said throwing away his trash.

"Maybe they realized that." I said. "Maybe we should see them. I mean they bought tickets to see us."

"I don't know." Connor shrugged. "Maybe they only want to be involved to boss us around and screw everything up."

________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday rolled around and the sun was shining on another 4th of July at Daytona. The fans were in red, white and blue. I put on my blue and white striped tank top with some jean shorts and my tan flip flops. Good thing about Florida, it is always warm. I walked into the bathroom and curled my hair and tied a red ribbon around my hair tie with a half up half down. Then I put some natural shades of eyeshadow with black eyeliner.

"Hunter let's go!" Connor yelled grabbing the cooler. He was dressed in an American flag tank top with an American flag bandana tied around his head and jean shorts with flip flops.

I grabbed my lanyard with my keys and my phone. Connor and I drove out to the plaza that was about to open. We stood by Chase's hauler waiting for our Aunt and her family.

"Hello Blue family." Maggie leaned out of Chase's hauler. Maggie was a volunteer that traveled with us the entire season.

"Hey Mags." Connor waved.

"Waiting for someone?" She asked.

"Just meeting some family." I answered.

"Good luck." She said going to a customer that had run in.

Connor and I leaned back and sat on the ground.

"What if they don't come." Connor asked.

"Then they donated 100 something dollars to NASCAR." I said checking my phone.

Chase walked out in a NAPA polo to do meet and greets at his hauler for about 40 minutes. He would talk to me while he waited for the next person to walk up.

I felt a little person pull on my shirt. I turned around to see my little cousin Abigail with my Aunt Brooke and Uncle Mike running behind.

"Hey guys." Uncle Mike said shaking Connor's hand.