Chapter 6: What is Happening?

I woke up in the middle of the night. We were in Nevada about 5 hours away from California. All the haulers had stopped and all the drivers families were stretching.

I walked out of my hauler. It was about 6:30a.m and the sun was rising. Drivers were having coffee and socializing. This is the part of NASCAR that the fans don't get to see. I snap a picture and post it on Instagram then go talk.

"Good morning Miss Blue." Clint Boywer said giving me a hug followed by Matt Kenseth.

"Ready for California?" Matt asked sipping his coffee.

"Always. I am ready to not be cold at a race. Bristol was freezing." I shivered.

"Well day races tend to be warmer." Clint joked.

We all laughed and I headed over to Joey who was talking to Austin Dillion, driver of the number 3. I will admit Joey is like a big brother to me. I walk over and walk right into Joey's arms while he talks.

"Good morning." Joey says laughing while I hold on to his waist halfway asleep.

"Morning." I whine. "Hi Austin."

"How are you on this early morning?" Austin laughed as stood up straight.

"Tired and ready to get back on the road." I said looking around for Chase.

"Looking for someone?" I hear from behind me. I turn around facing Chase with his bed head.

"Just the driver of the NAPA 9. Have you seen him?" I ask sarcastically.

"No but I could help you find him." Chase said smiling. Chase gave me a hug and the hug lingered for a few seconds.

"Hey guys." Dylan Kwasineski came up tickling my sides.

I just gave him a glare while Chase's arm found it's way around my waist. Dylan looked down but I guess he didn't really make a connection.

Not to long after everyone loaded up back on haulers and we made the final stretch to California.

I get back in my hauler to find Connor up on his phone. He looks up and sips his coffee. He is not a morning person so I wait a little bit before talking to him. I walked climbed back into my bunk and got on my phone.

I logged on Twitter and scrolled through new tweets

"Early stops. Good time for catching up with some good friends." - Clint Bowyer

"Cali here we come!" -Kyle Larson

"Tired people and great friends." - Joey Logano

I laugh at all the tweets and and head to Instagram. I have tons of notifications from one picture and the only question I have is who is up that early? I log off and it is 7:00 now. I walk back out to the kitchen area.

"Good morning Connor." I say noticing his coffee mug is empty.

"Morning." He says standing up heading to the cabinet for cereal.

"Did you sleep well?" I ask.

"You don't have to do that." Connor snaps.

"Do what? I ask.

"Be like mom and ask questions. She is going to be ok. You don't have to take her job." He snaps and goes to the back of the hauler.

I stand in silence. I hear the TV turn on in the back. I sit down and eat my breakfast and look out the window. My phone vibrates and it is Chase.

"When we get to Cali we need to talk." I read.

I reply nervously.

"What about?" I type.

He responds.

"I will see you at California."

How did this happen to me. My mom is dying from cancer. My brother is going crazy and now Chase is being weird. I just want my life to be normal again and have everyone happy.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!

Ok know I have been terrible at updating but I remembered today! I really hope you guys are enjoying the story. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think is funny and all that.

I want to take a minute and wish you all Happy Holidays. I hope you have wonderful time with your families and enjoy.

Love,
Megan