Chapter 9: We Are Back

I stepped out of the car and looked out at Richmond International Raceway. It had been 4 weeks since I had been to a race. We came back on a Saturday for the Sprint Cup race.

"Excuse me miss but I need to see your ID." The NAPA driver said smiling. I dropped all my bags and ran up to Chase. I hadn't seen him since the hospital. He picked me up and spun me around.

"This place has been awful without you guys. There has been a uh, lack of fun. Ready for a good race?" Chase asked grabbing my suitcase handle and my hand and started walking me and Connor to the hauler.

"I'm ready for any race. I've been watching on TV but it just isn't the same." I said waving to every worker that walked by.

"It's been different here without you." Chase said kissing my cheek. Connor made a gaging noise behind us.
"What about you Connor happy to be back?" Chase asked.

"Hell ya." Connor said fixing his hat.
We went through the tunnel and headed to our hauler. As we got closer I could see a huge crowd infront of our hauler. At first I thought it was drivers but the closer I got I made out a crowd of paparazzi. Chase, Connor, and picked up all of our stuff and ran up the stairs into the hauler and slammed the door.

I looked around our hauler. It had been cleaned and organized. I put my backpack on my bed and felt like I was home again.

"Hunter wanna go get some pizza and drive around? Connor said dangling my keys infront of my face.

"Shotgun!" I heard Chase yell from the front.

I smiled and snatched my keys. The paparazzi had be escorted out and my golf cart was sitting in its normal spot. We all hopped in and headed for the courtyard and followed the smell of pizza.

As we got closer there was an arranged group standing around the Papa Johns stand.

"Welcome home!" All the NASCAR drivers yelled. I turned off my cart and started to tear up.

"Aww dammit guys we made her cry." Clint yelled as Joey came up to hug Connor and I. Everyone laughed and stood around to talk. Joey had left a week and a half earlier from Florida so he could be at the races.

As the fun started to die down I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I turned around to face Mr. Helton, the president of NASCAR.

"Hello Mr. Helton." I said offering my hand for a handshake.

"Welcome back kids." Mr. Helton said hugging Connor and I. "Now I am happy you guys are back but we have a race to put on and the drivers need to go get ready for interviews and a race."

After that all the drivers gave us hugs and headed to go get ready.

"Now kids who do you want to cart around for interviews?" Mr Helton asked.

Connor and I looked at each other and shook our heads and in unison said "Joey Logano."

________________________________________________________________________________

I pulled my NASCAR hoodie on and sent a tweet.

"@HunterBlue_: Good to be back tonight with @ConnorBlue67. Say hey if you see us!"

Connor immediately replied.

"@ConnorBlue67: @HunterBlue_ couldn't agree more #rir"

Then all the fans started replying. I walked out into the kitchen and found Connor packing a cooler with sodas.

He looked up with tears. I ran over and wrapped my arms around him.

"I miss mom." He sobbed.

"I do too." I said rubbing his back.

"Why did we have to lose our mom? She cared about us and we didn't do anything wrong." Connor said looking up.

"Well I don't know. But you and I have each other and every single driver in this sport. We are gonna be ok. Mom knew what she was doing when she left NASCAR down as our "next of kin"." I said wiping the tears away.

After Connor and I took deep breaths we walked out to pit road in our NASCAR PJs. We set our stuff down in the 22 pit box and went down to meet fans.

"What is our theme today?" Carl Edwards asked walking up to us.

"NASCAR." Connor said pointing to our hoodies. Tonight I just had on leggings and Vans and Connor had on basketball shorts.

"Seems appropriate. Plus it is nice and warm." Carl said nodding his head. "Welcome home guys." Carl hugged us both and headed for his 99 car.

We walked around until driver introductions.

"Hey guys we want you to go out first for driver intros." Mr. Helton said as we headed for the pit box. "You guys deserve to be honored."

Connor and I looked at each other and nodded. I quickly ran to Cindy Elliott and asked her to brush my hair and put a bow in. She did a half up half down an snapped the bow. She always is good with hair on short notice. She is also my boyfriend's mother so I couldn't ask anyone else.

"Ladies and Gentleman we invite you to stand and please honor Miss Hunter Blue and Mr. Connor Blue and join them in honoring their mother Isabella Blue." The loudspeaker announced. Connor and I walked out and the stadium broke out in applause. Connor and I hugged the sponsors of the race and Mr. Helton and headed down to get in a truck. Of course I had to hop up and sit on the truck so I could get up but we got in. Yeah the drivers make it look easy but it is seriously the hardest thing in the world.

After we got around the track we head down to the pit box and sat down.

"How was that?" Todd Gordon asked.

"Windy." I said pulling my hair back in a ponytail.

The race started and there were long green runs and then a caution came. Joey ran well all night and came in for four tires.

"Hey Hunter, Joey wants to talk to you and Connor." Todd said handing me his headset.

"Joey?" I spoke into the mic.

"Hey guys. I want you guys to meet me in victory lane if we win this. I'm winning this for you guys." Joey said with 1 to go.

"You got this. Just watch Alex Bowman he seems loose on corners. Go win this Joey." I said as the cars passed. I noticed Joey's hand out his window net with a thumbs up.

I handed the headset back and kept and eye on the 23 especially on corners. Later he caused a caution because he spun out in turn 2. Todd turned back and laughed as he called for 4 tires and fuel.

The final laps came around and Joey was third. Todd said something about a place three finish but I just watched. The white flag came out and two drivers were being stubborn up front and Joey took the risk. He took the lower level and drove around the two cars and won the race. All the 22 team jumped up and cheered.

Connor and I grabbed our stuff and ran down to Victory Lane. We got there a minute before Joey got in. His crew was all settled behind the trophy. Joey
got out of his car and struck his pose. After everyone was soaked with Coca Cola, Joey headed for us.

"This win was for you. You guys are what keeps everyone sane week in and week out. I want you to know I will always be here for you. You guys have had a hard life but you have a family." Joey said hugging us.

After pictures and interviews Connor and I walked back to the trailer and got ready for bed. I climbed into my bunk and tweeted.

"@HunterBlue_: I couldn't ask for a better family. Congrats to @joeylogano for an EXCITING finish."

I turned off my phone and headed to bed. Next stop Talladega. Deep breath Hunter. It'll be ok.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!!

I'm loving writing this story and knowing your enjoying it. I just wish I had more time to write. I'm working on the 15th chapter right now and there are some cliff hangers ahead. I'm already thinking of a 2nd story following the conclusion of this one. Comment and let me know how you feel about a sequel and I will talk to you guys during the week! Feel free to comment and just chat with me for a little bit!

- Megan