Chapter 26 {R}

RILEY

"It's nice to meet you," Caleb smiled after Zach and I had —halfheartedly — introduced ourselves.

He sounded a lot more genuine than his sister and he sent us a knowing look with a sympathetic smile, almost like he was apologising in advance for his sister's blunt behaviour.

He was looking at me, observingly, and I had a hard time breaking my gaze off him. Not because he was handsome — which he was — but because I was skeptical.

Camila had been giving off faint signals that confused the hell out of me, switching between anger, fear, grief and satisfaction so fast while talking to Zach, that I felt my head spinning.

Caleb seemed calmer, and I hoped I could do a better job at figuring him out.

His werewolf nature wasn't a secret to me, but I was glad he didn't feel the need to let his eyes light up like his sister had done when I met her.

As he ran a hand through his hair, the sleeveless tank top he was wearing didn't hide his muscularity for the slightest bit. The hot summer weather gave him a good excuse to show so much skin, so instead of seeming like he was purposely trying to show off, it just made him attractive.

"I think it's nice, to have my brother at the same school," Camila said, her gaze shifting to me. "Don't you?"

I cleared my throat. "Uh yeah. It's always nice to have a familiar face around. To have someone to go to."

Jack didn't look at me.

"Exactly," she agreed. "Don't you have siblings, Zach?"

Zach kept a straight face as he stared back at her. Then he shook his head, making me frown.

"No, I don't," he said, the lie easily surpassing his lips. "Wish I did, though."

He did a good job at masking his lie, controlling his body language and not allowing his heartbeat to speed up, but it didn't matter anyway.

Camila smiled. "Interesting," was all she said.

I felt my blood run cold, my lungs freezing. Zach didn't trust her. He didn't want her to know about his siblings, out of precaution, to keep them safe just in case.

But she already knew. She knew and this time it hadn't been Jack who told her.

It was me.

"I bet Ryan and Reese would love to hear that from you," Jack said, looking Zach straight in the eyes.

Every trace of oxygen died in my throat. Zach swallowed, hard, and I didn't miss the anger that flashed through his eyes as he stared back at my brother, speechlessly.

I looked at my brother just as unbelievingly, my head exploding from a giant error.

He just put Zach on the spot as a liar, purposely spilling the things he wanted to keep a secret.

It felt like betrayal.

It was this comment that made it clear to us both that Jack wasn't on our side right now.

"Wow..." Zach breathed out through clenched jaw, starting to gather his stuff. "If there's one thing I always thought we understood each other about, it's being the older brother. I thought you understood what it's like."

Jack scoffed and I felt my heart drop, realising they were gonna end up arguing if the conversation went on like this.

"I stopped understanding you the second you threatened to shoot my sister," he spat.