Chapter 2 {D}

~ ☾~

DANIEL

I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that, even a month later, people still turned their heads to take a glance as either me or Riley walked into the cafeteria. It was a great mystery to me how they seemed to notice us every single time, even when the room was stuffed with dozens of other teenagers — but their eyes still found us like magnets.

No matter how many times it happened, it never stopped bothering me, the feeling of their eyes peering into my back to see what was lurking underneath my skin. It made me feel like a stranger; like I didn't belong in the school I had been attending for years.

Gulping in a deep breath, I forced a smile onto my face as I approached my friends — only because I knew I'd drown their good mood with worry if I didn't.

"What's poppin', Dan The Man," Corbyn greeted as I sat down next to my sister.

I huffed. "I still don't understand why you're choosing to study Maths, voluntarily, because, what- the- hell."

"So I'm guessing your test didn't go well?" Lexa chuckled.

"It was pure bullshit, I'm telling you," Jack chimed in as we had both taken the same test at the beginning of the day.

Riley was quick to respond, a teasing smile resting upon her features. "Yeah, well, you even doubt one plus one from time to time, so your judgement doesn't count."

Jack scoffed. "Ha ha, very funny."

I chuckled while taking a bite from my sandwich. It got stuck inside my throat though as I watched her attention shift to Zach when he sat down by her side, and saw her eyes light up when he pressed a soft kiss to her lips. I looked away too quickly.

You'd think that after two months — not that I had been counting or anything — of seeing them together the sting in my heart would have faded, yet it returned every time; as painful and present as the day they had confirmed to be dating. The day I had officially missed my chance and lost her to someone else.

I didn't think any of us trusted Zach completely; you could tell by the observing, skeptical looks we aimed at him every once in a while.

I knew Jack still blamed him for everything that had happened, as did Lexa, and part of me did too, but I also knew I owed him my life. Maybe that was the reason Riley had forgiven him so easily: both of us would have been dead right now if he hadn't saved us.

That, together with the fact that we could all see how happy he made Riley, was the only reason we accepted him in the group. Jonah had convinced us to give him a second chance on behalf of that.

That didn't mean I liked having him around, though.

"Hm?" I shot Lexa a questioning look as she nudged my side with her elbow.

She nodded ahead of her. Turning my head, I met Jonah's questioning eyes.

"Okay, guys, now that I've got all your attention," everyone's gazes shifted to Jonah as he spoke up, excitement beaming on his features and dominating his voice. "I've got some exciting news."

He called upon a dramatic pause to raise our curiosity. "I got in," he smiled proudly. "I received Princeton's email this morning, I got accepted."