Chapter 9 {Z}

~ ☾~

ZACH

Maybe you'd think it would get easier with each time you watched one of the people closest to you leave, but by the look on Riley's face I could tell it only got harder with each goodbye.

I knew it wasn't easy for her to watch them go, and I saw it take its toll on her. What scared me the most was that she turned awfully quiet, locking it all up inside and closing herself off.

Especially now that Jack, me and her were the only ones left standing at the side of the road, Jonah's final words "you can always call me, whatever it's about, just call me," still hanging in the air.

Part of me knew I could never truly understand what it meant to be part of a pack the way they did, to share a supernatural connection like that, but I knew werewolves craved being around one another just as much as actual wolves did. So to have the pack split up like this and all at once, I could only imagine how hard that had to be for her.

All I knew for sure was that now she had finally managed to pull herself together piece by piece, I wasn't going to let her fall apart again. I wanted to get her mind off it, make her feel better, make her smile.

I had spent most of the night thinking about it, figuring out a way how I could turn her worst days into her best days, and it took me all morning to prepare for it. Now I just hoped she felt like coming with me.

"Do you wanna get out of here?" I asked, slipping my hand through hers to gather her attention.

She peeled her eyes off the empty road before her, her head and shoulders hanging low. She rubbed a hand over her face and without meeting my eyes, she nodded silently.

After separating from Jack she followed me to my Jeep, settling on the passenger seat as I climbed behind the steering wheel.

Starting the engine, I turned the car off the porch and onto the road, excited to begin our journey of the day. I had no idea where I was going, taking unfamiliar turns and paths I hadn't discovered before, but that was kind of the point.

Riley looked away from the window, a hint of curiosity hidden in her frown. "Where are we going?" She asked after a few minutes of silence.

Taking my eyes off the road for a second, I shot her a smug look. "I have no idea."

I felt myself smile at the way her frown deepened, right before raising her eyebrows questioningly.

"I thought we could drive around for awhile, like road trip style, until we find a place we'd want to picnic, 'cause I brought food and stuff." I looked over at her to watch her reaction.

To my relief, the corners of her mouth lifted up into a soft smile. She shook her head, the playful glistening I had missed the past couple days finally returning to her caramel eyes. "You really should've given me a heads up at how much boyfriend goals you are."

She could tell my heartbeat sped up at her words, the warm feeling in my stomach reflecting on my cheeks. "What can I say?" I shot her a grin, raising my shoulders. "Anything for my girl."

I couldn't hear her heartbeat, but I was pretty sure it reacted the same way as mine had done. Finally that beautiful smile I fell in love with took over her features. She turned her head away shyly, looking out of the window to hide her pink cheeks.

"No, please keep smiling at me like that-"

She threw her head back in a chuckle. "You should look at the road, you're gonna crash the car."