Chapter 12 {Z}

Now the dog problem was solved I was determined to get some rest. But no matter how exhausted I was, sleep wouldn't come. It had me debate, overthink and doubt all night long instead.

In contrast to all the hours before, it was quiet. Too quiet. I almost missed the dog's whining, because now I had to listen to my own thoughts.

Maybe if I get a summer job we'll be able to afford the dog.

But what if she gets sick and has to see a vet?

Okay, make that two summer jobs.

But then who's gonna walk her twice a day?

Maybe it'll work for now, but what are you gonna do when summer break is over? She'll be alone for hours when y'all go back to school, and she can't even be alone for the night.

Reese will hate you if you send her to an animal shelter. She'll never forgive you.

Just like she'll never forgive you for getting Bailey killed. Getting your mom killed.

It's your fault.

"Stop thinking, Zach," I sighed, clenching my hands into fists around the pillow. "Just turn that Goddamn brain off. Worry about it tomorrow."

I wished it worked that way.

~ ☾~

"Worry about it tomorrow," well, that definitely worked.

I guessed at some point the fine line between a slumber and full wakefulness must have faded, and I must have dozed off  into a lingering haze of blackness because I didn't remember the sun coming up. With slumping limps, heavy from their lack of rest, and outdrawn features coated with sleep, I made my way downstairs the next morning.

With absolutely no sense of what time it was, I tried rubbing the sleep out of my eyes before stepping into the living room. I had just pushed the door handle down and opened the door a few inches, when I heard Ryan and Reese talking.

I saw them sitting on the couch through the small split of the door opening, both patting the dog that was lying in between them. I hesitated, seeing the serious looks on their faces and waited, not wanting to intervene their conversation.

"You okay?" I heard Ryan ask Reese, a hint of concern laced in his voice.

She didn't look up at him, her eyes focused on her hands as she fiddled with the soft fur of the dog. I didn't miss the faint shaking of her head. Deciding to let them talk, I started turning around to go back upstairs.

"I said something to Zach yesterday that I feel really sorry about," she mumbled.

My body froze in the middle of its movements. Even though I had never meant to eavesdrop, at the mentioning of my name I couldn't help myself.

"What did you say?"

A few moments of silence followed. Reese's voice quieted down more with each word. "That it's his fault Bailey isn't around anymore."

I bit my inner cheek, eyes finding the ground as her words rose above the surface of my memory.

It took Ryan a while to form a response. "Did you mean that?" He asked softly.