Chapter 49 {Z}

"Why him?" I snarled the question, both trying to make sense of the situation and stalling; giving my hands time to heal as I ran over tactics and theories to get out of here, with Jack. I ended up with little to nothing as Warner blocked the doorway, with Camila to his right, and the treacherous heartbeats of two others lurking outside.

The shovel on my left would make for a good hit, though, square and hard against Warner's temple, if I'd be able to reach it in time.

"Because he's the only one who fell for it," Warner shrugged, his eyes drifting between me and Jack. "The plan was to get Riley on board, But I guess she's a lot more loyal than you are, isn't that right, Jack?"

I looked away, but not before seeing Jack grow smaller at the harsh accusation. I guess being in someone's head tells you exactly how to hurt someone.

"And her?" I fixed my gaze on Camila, her golden eyes staring right back, her smile ever so bright. "Are you controlling her, too?"

"Would it make a difference to you?" She tilted her head, batting her eyelashes at me until I had to clench my fists and keep myself from tearing her apart.

It would. I needed to know who was responsible for my brother's permanent burn wounds. His nightmares. Someone needed to pay for that, and my hands stung enough to remind me of his pain. Ryan wouldn't heal. Not like me.

Warner's eyes darkened, understanding my reaction too well. The lust for vengeance is easy to recognise when you're starving for it. "You think having your brother traumatised is anywhere near the same as losing one? As losing your whole family?"

"I don't plan to find out," I scowled, unable to keep the threat from my voice.

His mouth twitched, his gaze wandering. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he'd be plotting something, considering, thinking. But if there was anything I had learned thus far was that Warner had everything planned out already, just as easily as playing a game of cards.

Not that it's much of a fair game when you know all the cards of your opponent.

"Tell me, do you consider Jack family?"

My senses sharpened with each heartbeat, timing every passing second. "Isn't that why he's here?"

"He's here because I'd like to see how far you'd go to save him. Your brother-in-law," he sneered. "Not that you and Riley are going to last that long. I guess you both need to be alive for that, huh?"

Anger, hot and sharp, raced up my back, and I knew I was giving him the exact reaction he wanted as I shot forward. The shovel made a clumsy weapon, its length too short and weight too heavy as it rested in my palm, but the blade at the end, a dark oval made out of glistening steel, promised me some serious damage.

I never reached Warner, though.

When I turned back, the shovel lifted over my head in a terrible hit, two hands caught the handle and stopped it mid-air.

The killed off momentum rumbled through my hands and I felt my skin crawl as I stared back at Jack, who had jumped in front of Warner.

"I'm sorry," he mouthed, guilt shining brightly in his orbs, but his grip on the shovel didn't fade.

I didn't have to look at Warner to know he was controlling him. His body, at least, because his mind seemed terribly aware of what he was doing.

"He's not your Alpha." My eyes flashed between his, desperate to get through. "Jonah is. You don't have to listen to him."