Chapter 18 {Z}

~ ☾~

We ended up watching all three of the High School Musical movies: all the while singing and laughing together. And while making fun of their dance moves, we created even worse ones.

I think it was about seven in the morning, somewhere near the end of the third movie, when sleep finally soothed her up in its arms and granted her the rest she needed.

I had turned off the TV and taken her in my arms, her figure curling up against mine in an instant. I had watched her for awhile, my hands running through her hair softly.

She looked so peaceful, so calm, so vulnerable. Her features cleared of every bit of tension, every trace of fear. She had never looked more beautiful to me.

It didn't take me long to fall asleep right next to her on the couch.

At the moment, my mind was floating somewhere in between consciousness and unconsciousness, both vaguely aware and unaware of my surroundings, still asleep but somewhat awake at the same time.

Awake enough to feel the sun rays on my face as they peeked through the curtains. Awake enough to sense her presence. To feel the warmth of her body pressed against mine. To feel the steady rising and falling of her chest in my arms. To hear her soft, calm breathing close to my face.

And that was when I felt it. I finally felt it. The feeling I had been missing for years.

It bloomed inside my chest. Restarted my heart. Soothed my mind. Eased every strain in my muscles, every inch of pained skin. And I reached out to it, desperately clasped onto it, welcomed it with open arms.

The feeling of home.

In three years, maybe in all my life, I had never felt so at ease. There was so much comfort in the idea of falling asleep and waking up next to her, so much relief in the opportunity of holding her sleeping figure in my arms.

And I never wanted to let her go again. Never wanted to lose the way she made me feel. Never wanted this moment to be over.

So I pulled her closer, held her just a little tighter and snuggled my head into the crook of her neck to block out the sunlight; the only reminder of a world outside of this moment.

And I was just about ready to drift off to sleep again, right in the middle of a sigh of comfort when—

Someone rang the doorbell.

Gemini flew to the door; her barks low and loud, eyes big, teeth showing.

And it was so unexpected, so unwelcome and such an assault to my peaceful surroundings that every part of me tensed up and I didn't realise what had happened until I felt the pain in my back. The aching of my spine.

From smacking against the stone cold floor.

Riley had shot up in the same second. Her eyes were round and wide, cleared of sleep in an instant as she searched the room for me. And found me on the ground.

I opened my mouth to tell her what happened when the doorbell rang again.

"Gem," I called as the dog put on an even louder throat, her front paws scratching at the door. "Gem, stop, it's okay." I heard the rough edge to my voice, hoarse with sleep, and wiped a quick hand over my face while getting back on my feet.

I met Riley's eyes, almost didn't hear her question over Gemini's barking. "Are you okay?"

"Hm? Yeah," I said. "Yeah, I'm fine." I rubbed a hand over my tailbone. "Can I borrow my shirt for a second?"