Chapter-22

Lauren Hart

Anxious, frustrated, over the edge.

For the past one hour.

It had been an hour since the gang left after giving me the torturous—hellish experience of my life. I was left embarrassed for life. I won't be able to look into their eyes. They would tease me to death.

I had put Ryan to sleep in my room and sat on the bed with my feet on the floor, bouncing my thighs, and biting my nails in anxiousness.

I had a truckload of questions running a marathon inside my head, frustrating me to the fullest. There were things I wanted to talk about with Sean but he didn't want to be disturbed as he was working in his study. Why? Why did it feel like he wasn't affected by all that happened and was working in peace? He couldn't do that! If I wasn't at peace then how could he?

What if he blames me for everything?

"Enough! I have to talk to him now otherwise I would go insane." I stood up from my bed and making sure Ryan was asleep, I walked out of my room and after knocking once on his study door I barged in without his permission.

"I have something to talk to you about," I said the second I entered, without noticing what he was doing. I only noticed him sitting on his chair rubbing his forehead after I had said.

He raised his head and huffed angrily. "What part of 'do not disturb' you failed to understand? And when did I permit you to enter?"

"I knew you won't allow me to enter so I barged in and I apologize for that, but I have something important —"

"I am in no mood of having a conversation with you right now. We'll talk in the morning. You can leave now." He said in dismissive done.

"No, I can't," I said firmly. "You have to listen to me first or I won't get sleep all night." I knew he would again dismiss my plea so I continued without his permission.

"Listen, all I have to say is... Whatever happened wasn't my fault. I mean, the visit of our friends and the unveiling of truth—" I was cut off in between.

"When did I blame you for anything?"

"No, you will. I know you. When things go wrong, you blame me. That's why I'm here to clearly state that nothing was my fault, so when you wake up the next morning and think of what happened, do not come to me shouting that I disclosed the truth and help you with something else. I won't. I have risked it enough; I have lied enough and—"

"Shut up, Lauren." He glared at me while clenching his jaw.

"Shut up? Shut up?" I gaped at him and marching up to him I stood beside his chair. "You are asking me to shut up when I'm just trying to save myself? Well, no, Mr. Peterson, I won't." I too glared at him then I gasped.

I crossed my arms across my chest. "I get it now. You already know that not me but you are at fault. For lying to your family and friends, for forcing me to lie to my friends; you are the reason for whatever happened tonight. You are the reason for this mess—"

I was again cut off by a bang on the table. He stood up abruptly, standing toe to toe to me. "Enough, Lauren. Shut up or—"

I wasn't intimidated by him, at all. I too stood on my ground, glaring at him. "Or what? Well, Sean, You can't do anything as I wasn't born with the 'shut up' function. So, no, I am not going to stop talking."

"Then I'll have to teach you." He said haughtily.

"You can't teach me what I don't want to learn." I snapped back. "And do not divert the topic. I am here to say—"