Chapter-18

Lauren Hart

Bringing my senses on alert mode, I tip-toed in the house in order not to bump into Mr. Peterson while I look for Ryan.

I was purposely trying to avoid him as I knew what I did the other day. I had troubled him a lot and I unintentionally forced him to bring me to my room last night; I only got to know it when I woke. FacePalm!

I looked for Ryan in his room but didn't find him there. I then walked back to the living room- walking backward - only to bump into someone. Shutting my eyes, I cursed my luck as I knew who I bumped into.

"Lauren, if you don't want to be scolded for your craziness then turn and apologize." My inner self advised me.

"Miss Hart?"

As soon as he called for me, I spun on my feet and - "I'm sorry, Mr. Peterson for what I did yesterday at the amusement park. I know I was reckless but I just wanted Ryan to have fun, that's all. I know you want to scold me and I get it but don't be too harsh. I-"

"Stop, Miss Hart!" I stopped and lowered my head. Get ready for a lecture, Lauren.

"You really can't keep your mouth shut, can you?" I heard him sigh. "And you assume a lot. Why did you assume I was going to scold you? I did not ask for an apology from you then why are you rambling?"

I was stunned thinking as to what had happened to him? He had been scolding me for every minor unintended mistake ever since I had stepped in his house and now when I purposely crossed the boundaries, troubled him, annoyed him to a huge extent, he seemed calm.

I raised my eyes just to find him staring at me and he had a small, genuine...smile? Whoa, were my eyes playing a trick, or was he actually smiling for no reason? Wait, was he mocking me with that smile?

I tried to ask the reason for his smile but the words in my throat when his intense gaze lingered on my lips. I doubted if I had something on my lips; maybe my colored lip gloss was smudged? The doubt stuck in my mind and I immediately wiped the edges of my mouth with my palm and only then his gaze wavered. I felt his body jerk. He roamed his eye here and there then locked his hesitated gaze with mine.

"Did you feel anything last night? Or maybe remember something...anything?" Hesitation was evident in his voice.

My skeptical gaze observed him. What does he mean by that? Did I do something last night? Or...Did he something to me?

"No. Why?" I asked suspiciously. I may be wrong but I saw him sigh.

"Forget it." He ordered and turned and began to walk.

"Mr. Peterson, wait." I marched after him.

"I said forget it." He kept walking out of the house.

"No, I'm not asking about that."

He stopped and faced me.

"Uh, I was looking for Ryan; I can't find him. Have you seen him? Where is he?"

"He's in my room; sleeping." He replied.

"Uh, okay. Can I?" I asked for permission to enter his room. He didn't take long to nod his head and I didn't wait for long before scrambling to his room.

A genuine smile tugged my lips when I found Ryan sleeping soundly. I didn't know when and how I got closer to him and when he became a part of my life. This little kiddo, who once was a stranger to me, now seemed to be a reason for my smile.

I crawled in the bed, under the blanket, and hugged him. "Get up buddy, it's morning already." I kissed his chubby cheek.

He stirred and opened his eyes. "I'm already up but I don't want to go out of bed. It's so comfortable here."