Chapter-6

Lauren Hart

"I'll be waiting in my car."

As soon as those words left his mouth I again went inside and rummaged through the wardrobe. The rushed panic inside me caused me to wear whatever came in my hands first. Rugged jeans, a creased t-shirt, black sneakers without socks, disheveled hair, and I was ready. I was not on a mission to impress. That was the last thing in my mind as my already overcrowded mind was in a state of confusion as to where to fit the fact that my boss Sean Peterson was standing at my doorstep and had wanted to talk to me. About what? I had no clue. What could be so important that he couldn't wait till the morning?

After messaging Christy that I was going out for some work I exited the house and while I was locking the door, my eyes landed on the window of Mrs. Harris from where she was still peeking. "God, this irritating lady!" I muttered through my teeth. But I too wasn't any less if she could irritate me then I could too. I passed a fake, sweet tight-lipped-go complaint to my mother about my late-night getaway. I don't care- smile and walked away.

The awkwardly silent car ride with my boss to I didn't know where was too boring. The firm silence in the car was killing me. I couldn't even ask him to turn on the radio as I knew he wouldn't do it. Traveling with him for official work taught me that he enjoyed driving in silence.

He stopped the car at a restaurant and we went in. The place was almost empty still he took the end corner table to sit at.

"What would you like to have?" He asked me.

"We are here to talk, right sir?" We were not here to eat. Moreover, I had my dinner waiting at home. I didn't want to waste it as I paid for it.

"Yes, Miss Hart but we can't sit here without ordering."

Oh, yeah, he makes sense. He always does. Too perfect and sensible.

"Okay then, coffee would be fine," I said as I tapped my fingers on the table.

He ordered coffee and I ran my eyes left to right, studying the few people that were enjoying their food. What? I had nothing to do. I was waiting for him to start speaking. Two minutes passed, three minutes passed but he didn't speak. So, while tapping my fingers on the table I slowly darted my eyes at him and found him lost in his thoughts, scratching his eyebrow with his index finger.

"Mr. Peterson?" I mumbled. His eyes shot up and I raised my eyebrows which caused him to sit straight in his chair.

"Ahem, Miss Hart. Actually...there is something I need to know." He said a bit hesitantly and I was like Whoa, Sean Peterson was hesitant? That was new.

"Yes?"

"On the scale of 1-10, how good are you with kids?"

Huh? I stared at him weirdly, looking for a sign of horns on his head. What kind of question was that?

"Uh, why?"

"Just answer." His tone changed to bossy again.

"Well, I do like kids but I'll give myself a score between 5 and 6."

"5.5. This can work." He mumbled to himself but I heard him. He assumed 5.5 can't it be 5.1 or 5.9 or any other?

He suddenly sat stiffly, bored his eyes in mine which made me uncomfortable.

"Listen, Miss Hart. There is this child who is my-"

I gasped and abruptly stood up from the chair. I shrieked. "You have a child? Oh my god! Why didn't I know? Does anyone know? How old is the kid? Who is the mother-"